Questions about males

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
Hello, I want to know more about male tarantulas, more specifically, what its mature molt means, if It can mate before it, or if they have tibial hooks and clubbed pedipalps for the molt. Thanks

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
A mature male is a tarantula (that is male) that's sexually mature with bulbous pedipalps, and for most species, tibial hooks on it's first pair of legs. They can't mate before they're mature, and they don't have the bulbous pedipalps and hooks before they're mature.

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
Are males of a burrowing species be out and about when it is mature?

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

And if I see tibial hooks that means that they are mature? and when its mature is that very likely its last molt?

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
This is my Blue Fang, its a little less than 3 inches and I got it last year as a ~.75" sling , I see hooks and clubbed pedipalps, but I want to guys to take a look and tell me what u think. photo.jpg photo1.jpg

Attachments

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
So what do people do when they get mature males, do they keep it to die, or do they make arrangements to buy, sell or send it to breed with someone else's T?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They usually sell it or loan it to someone for breeding.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
So what do people do when they get mature males, do they keep it to die, or do they make arrangements to buy, sell or send it to breed with someone else's T?
Some people keep them, others sell them to breeders or trade them, or try and get a breeding loan with a breeder. In the end it's up to you.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Or realizing they have, or may have an immature male, will try to locate an older female to pair it with themselves.

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
Does this mean that he is ready to mate at any second, or just right after he makes a sperm web?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After he makes a sperm web, which you most likely won't see.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Does this mean that he is ready to mate at any second, or just right after he makes a sperm web?
He's loaded and ready to go. Looks like he could use a couple good feedings. I'd start looking for someone with an adult female.

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
yea its denied its last few meals, is a 3" mm blue fang a normal size for that species?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
yea its denied its last few meals
Mature males won't eat as much or as often as adult females. Males are built for travel, hence the long legs, small abdomens, and lighter weight. A fat male that can't move fast is an easy target for predators. Females stay in their retreats waiting for blind dates, which is much safer.