Too fat for its own burrow?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This might seem like a really silly question, but my P.irminia seems to be having trouble fitting through the entrance of its burrow. It's in heavy premolt right now, and admittedly, I may have gotten a bit carried away with feedings this time. I have full faith that it will make the appropriate adjustments to its hide if necessary, but I just thought I'd share this observation and see what others think of this. There's probably nothing I can do about it, but I'm sure that the spider knows what it's doing.

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
Is the spider able to widen the entrance to the burrow, or is the opening a 'fixed' size?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well it's not really a burrow per say. Its more of a web-tube that it built along the side of its cork bark slab which extends fro the ground to about halfway up the enclosure. You know, the typical psalmo hide. Its made of silk with substrate incorporated into it, so I imagine the tarantula could expand it if it needed to.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well it's not really a burrow per say. Its more of a web-tube that it built along the side of its cork bark slab which extends fro the ground to about halfway up the enclosure. You know, the typical psalmo hide. Its made of silk with substrate incorporated into it, so I imagine the tarantula could expand it if it needed to.
So what do you think they do in the wild?

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry about it too much - since it is the typical curtain-web, she can widen it if need be. I have noticed that all my arbs like a tight entry-way, while the tubes have just enough room for them to scrunch up and turn around. Do keep an eye on any scrapes etc from too-tight a fit, but I think it will be fine.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Strange question but I'm sure if he wants to open it more he has no problem doing it but what you can do is grab a pair of tweezers and press hard on the botton /sides of the burrow to widen it, 100% fix.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
My E. Murinus has gotten too big for its burrow. While it has widened the burrow out, I notice it spends a lot more time out of it now, even in the middle of the day.

My LV has also been at work on her burrow today, she absolutely demolished it last week taking out a mature male dubia.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Mod note

Hi,

Keep it in topic.
Keep personal/off topic arguments out of this thread and confined to PMs
Please keep it civil.

Under no circumstances do we allow insults or personal attacks on these forums.
At the same time, please also realize that this is a public forum, and anyone is entitled to post their opinion. If anybody bothers you, consider adding them to your ignore list, or if you must argue with them off topic, just send them a pm.

Thanks.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So yeah, it seems to have worked everything out, just as I thought it would. The Thing seriously looked like it was stuck though lol.