Sphagnum moss help.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
I just got a bag of dry but living sphagnum moss. I am growing half and leaving the rest for my tarantulas.
1)How do you place it in the T's enclosure? Do you plant it like growing it or do you just keep it moist?
2)How often do you spray it with water?
3)What tarantulas could use the sphagnum moss in their enclosure. I know Avics are one genus that uses them.
Thanks guys!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use long fiber sphagnum with most of my slings. They use it to construct a retreat, and I lightly mist it so they can drink from it, especially if they're too small for a water bowl. The stuff I buy is always brown and dead, never green. For terrestrials I'll just put some moss in their container (16 oz deli cup) on top of the substrate; for arboreals I'll put the moss under a piece of plastic plant, on the substrate. When it's dry I mist it. The only slings I don't use it with are some of the large-growing NW terrestrials, who grow fast and tend to tear up things.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Mine are the live ones.. not sure which type since there is a stringy one and grass like one. Will post a picture...

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
One way I've heard of it done is to loosely pack a blender with moss, fill the blender with water, and blend the mix into a liquid paste that you then spread over whatever surfaces you want to cover. Moss reproduce with spores, IIRC, so it's more like a fungus than a plant in that respect.

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
I just got a bag of dry but living sphagnum moss. I am growing half and leaving the rest for my tarantulas.
1)How do you place it in the T's enclosure? Do you plant it like growing it or do you just keep it moist?
2)How often do you spray it with water?
3)What tarantulas could use the sphagnum moss in their enclosure. I know Avics are one genus that uses them.
Thanks guys!
I place a small amount in one corner of the enclosure with a few small rocks on top of it. I spray it when it's dry and let it pretty much dry out before spraying it again. I keep the substrate dry and I also have a small water dish in there as well. I'm keeping 2 Aphonopelmas and a rosea and a smithi. I've read most people have never seen their Ts drink from their dish, but I've seen all 4 of mine drink more than once and they often times sit right next to the moss after I've sprayed it. I think they like or need the moisture from time to time.