Lp doesn't like he's water dish anymore :)

GG80

Arachnoknight
My Lp sling reached one inch DLS 4 weeks ago so I gave him a small 1/4" x 1/4" square peice of plastic as a water dish to see how he would take to it. I only put 4-5 drops of water into it so he shouldn't be in any danger of drowning.

He was taking to it very well for 3 weeks, I even caught him drinking from it a few times :biggrin:. Now he seems to just hate it. It's like he's gone crazy all of a sudden:mad:. This week he was filling it up with substrate, nothing major but I woke up one morning to find that he had burried the dish under an inch of substrate:laugh:. I retrieved the dish, cleaned it and put it back in another part of his cage only to wake up this morning to find he has turned it completely upside down. I think I might be wasting my time:happy:.

It's so funny how their personalities can just change overnight. He's my most interesting sling that I have so far.

gobey

Arachnoknight
My Lp sling reached one inch DLS 4 weeks ago so I gave him a small 1/4" x 1/4" square peice of plastic as a water dish to see how he would take to it. I only put 4-5 drops of water into it so he shouldn't be in any danger of drowning.

He was taking to it very well for 3 weeks, I even caught him drinking from it a few times :biggrin:. Now he seems to just hate it. It's like he's gone crazy all of a sudden:mad:. This week he was filling it up with substrate, nothing major but I woke up one morning to find that he had burried the dish under an inch of substrate:laugh:. I retrieved the dish, cleaned it and put it back in another part of his cage only to wake up this morning to find he has turned it completely upside down. I think I might be wasting my time:happy:.

It's so funny how their personalities can just change overnight. He's my most interesting sling that I have so far.
Wait until he's a teenager. Mine's 5" and is now trying to sneek out at night. ;)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My B.smithi flipped its waterdish over and buried it underneath a bunch of substrate. Its rather amusing.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Wait until he's a teenager. Mine's 5" and is now trying to sneek out at night. ;)
Haha. I get the feeling he's gonna be trouble when he's bigger, but in a cute way:)

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 08:47 PM ----------

I've just noticed that I used HE'S in the thread title instead of 'HIS'. Just in case we have some grammar nazis here :p

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Haha. I get the feeling he's gonna be trouble when he's bigger, but in a cute way:)

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 08:47 PM ----------

I've just noticed that I used HE'S in the thread title instead of 'HIS'. Just in case we have some grammar nazis here :p
Grammar Nazis should be capitalized...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It has nothing to do with it liking it's water bowl. It's filling in the low spots with excess substrate from it's digging. The water bowl is handy. Try moving it to another part of the cage. If that's not possible, you'll have to keep cleaning and filling it until the digging subsides.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Grammar Nazis should be capitalized...
Haha, good observation:)

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

It has nothing to do with it liking it's water bowl. It's filling in the low spots with excess substrate from it's digging. The water bowl is handy. Try moving it to another part of the cage. If that's not possible, you'll have to keep cleaning and filling it until the digging subsides.
I did move it, that's when he turned it upside down though :). I'll be patient with him, he is becoming a great little digging machine at the moment.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I did move it, that's when he turned it upside down though :). I'll be patient with him, he is becoming a great little digging machine at the moment.
It's a phase. Once they're done remodeling, things settle down. They need water regardless. In the wild, rain comes no matter what they do with the excess soil they dig up.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

My emerald green sling uses his water dish as a trapdoor lol no matter how many times I put it back he'll re use it as a door so yes, u may be wasting your time, as I found I was lol

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
My B Smithi would constantly empty & move his bottle cap water dish around. Eventually I gave him a milk jug cap and left the other cap in there. He's never moved the milk jug cap, and the original dish was promptly filled with sub & buried, never to be toyed with again. Now he keeps himself occupies by digging to China via the corner of his tank. :sarcasm:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anybody that's owned a bulldozer sorry I mean G pulchra can relate to this they do things like this on an almost daily basis. My 6" female is a nightmare but funny at the same time, I've had her over 18months and its a daily occurrence she fills her water bowl with sub, she's buried her hide a few times in the past and just recently she's started to bury her fake plant which in turn means the substrate gets so high it comes through the vertical rib vents on her enclosure and lands all over the floor. If she wasn't doing this I'd be a little worried about her

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Observation:

My B. smithi female (~5") is kinda odd in that regard. Whenever I refilled her waterdish, she came and drank some and chilled on the moistened substrate (eco-earth) from overflowing it. Well, after some weeks and me overflowing it a little every time, the substrate in half the enclosure was constantly moist so I stop the overfilling. Instead, I filled a simple layer of bone-dry coco-fiber on top as I saw her wandering a bit more than usual. Guess what - now she's throwing all the cocofiber she can get into the waterdish after I refill it without overflowing. She's such an oddball, but she obviously isn't with bonedry. Goes to show that some are different. *shrugs*

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Anybody that's owned a bulldozer sorry I mean G pulchra can relate to this they do things like this on an almost daily basis. My 6" female is a nightmare but funny at the same time, I've had her over 18months and its a daily occurrence she fills her water bowl with sub, she's buried her hide a few times in the past and just recently she's started to bury her fake plant which in turn means the substrate gets so high it comes through the vertical rib vents on her enclosure and lands all over the floor. If she wasn't doing this I'd be a little worried about her
Ditto, johnny. Bithia the Bulldozer just loves upending her water dish just about every day, or turning it into a mud spa.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Observation:

My B. smithi female (~5") is kinda odd in that regard. Whenever I refilled her waterdish, she came and drank some and chilled on the moistened substrate (eco-earth) from overflowing it. Well, after some weeks and me overflowing it a little every time, the substrate in half the enclosure was constantly moist so I stop the overfilling. Instead, I filled a simple layer of bone-dry coco-fiber on top as I saw her wandering a bit more than usual. Guess what - now she's throwing all the cocofiber she can get into the waterdish after I refill it without overflowing. She's such an oddball, but she obviously isn't with bonedry. Goes to show that some are different. *shrugs*
my rosea is the same way XD thats y i added pothos to my enclosure despite kind words my girl will almost bath in the wet sub, befor the coco has a chance to soak it in little ginger is metataris deep in water and almost belly flopps down in the vanishing pool XD no mater if i flooded it once a week or once a day when it was dry from my space heater.. shed plop on in lol

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
my rosea is the same way XD thats y i added pothos to my enclosure despite kind words my girl will almost bath in the wet sub, befor the coco has a chance to soak it in little ginger is metataris deep in water and almost belly flopps down in the vanishing pool XD no mater if i flooded it once a week or once a day when it was dry from my space heater.. shed plop on in lol
my MM G. porteri does this too. When I fill his water dish he hovers over it, even if it's been full and I just change the water out. I give him fresh water every 2nd day whether it's got water already in it or not, I just clean it out. He's not dehydrated at all either, his abdomen is always firm looking and he's very healthy. He just likes water. And if I moisten some substrate in the corner or something he will hang around in the wet sub for hours. LOL. I know it's not a humidity thing, the relative humidity in our house is close to 60 percent and outside is closer to 75 or 80. (being in Louisiana makes for humid environs. swamps do that LOL)