The fast growing T's that just won't grow at all.

Jebbles

Arachnosquire
Alrighty, I'm pretty sure some of you might be able to relate to me here. I bought an LP, whom I named River, a year ago. Back then it was about a fingernail in legspan. Now it's pretty much a long fingernail in legspan. It's only grown about half of its original size in a year, and it's an LP. It's a good indicator that it's female, supposedly, but god dammit I just want it to grow! :cry:

Anyone else had stubborn growers?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My OBT is growing pretty slow, however this makes me suspect it may just be a female. I live in FL, where the temp and humidity is almost always at an extreme. These factors as well as the amount of feedings contribute to growth speed, or so I've been told. If anything, my spiders should be growing faster than those that people in colder/drier climates keep. For the most part they have been. This one being an exception.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Their growth reflects the conditions. Keep them warm and feed them often. LP's should be 4-5" in a year, OBT males can mature in 8-12 months. You're in Canada, I suspect you're keeping yours cool and not feeding it often enough. Slings should be fed 2 or 3 times a week. Do that and they molt and grow. That's not power-feeding.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Can you post a photo? That is unbelievably slow for an LP. I got mine 8 months ago as a 1/4 inch sling and it's nearing 3 inches now.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I think it depends on the individual. I had a 1/3" Holothele incei mature in 8 months, but I also have a 8 month old Monocentropus balfouri that's still 3/4" and I got it at 1/2". They're all kept at the same temp and fed at the same time.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think so too. I have a 4 inch B.smithi that is outgrowing my OBT. I keep seeing Avics labled as fast growers everywhere I look. However, every Avic sling I've ever had has grown sooooo slowly.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tend to agree with comments made above about how each individual differs from the next but for an lp that seems really slow, i myself have got the opposite of this going on my Aphonopelma serratum sling as gone from 5mm dls to over an inch in 5-5.5 months and thats a slow grower but yet my B smithi and my B annitha never seem to grow they are still just 1/4" at this rate ill be leaving these 2 to someone in my will lol

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I think so too. I have a 4 inch B.smithi that is outgrowing my OBT. I keep seeing Avics labled as fast growers everywhere I look. However, every Avic sling I've ever had has grown sooooo slowly.
Same here on the Avics. Mine grow painfully slow. I have a 1/2" A.avic sling that hasn't molted in nearly 6 months. The only thing growing slower than that in my collection are my Euathlus sp.red slings.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I,ve had this happen with L.p slings,it's happening to me right now.I bought sac mates,4,in Dec.3 are over 3" and 1 is less than an inch for no apparent reason.Same feeding schedule,same T room,it eats every feeding,it just doesn't grow.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Keep in mind, growth isn't linear. It could take off in growth rate before you know it.
However, as mentioned temperature and feeding schedule play a role.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Amen on the Avics growing slow. I have two slings that I bought at 1" and are almost 1 1/2" after about a year

awiec

Arachnoprince
My female P.regalis juvie would not molt for the first 5 months I had her, I fed her well and she was kept reasonably warm but did not molt. Since the first molt shes had with me she has molted 3 times this year and has grown 50% each time.; something must have told her it was growing time. People say oh avics grow so fast, my two G.ihringi caught up to my versi before its most recent molt and I expect it to be surpassed again. Another slow growing pokie I have is the P.metallica (whom I think is a boy), it molts often but does not gain much each time, I'm hoping it will take off in the spring at some point.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Sulawesi blk is 4yrs old and only 3 inches so far it's kept at 80 f and eats twice a week but just never grows . I guess I will be waiting a long time for this one to get 10 inches haha

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My Sulawesi blk is 4yrs old and only 3 inches so far it's kept at 80 f and eats twice a week but just never grows . I guess I will be waiting a long time for this one to get 10 inches haha
Don't count on 10", 8 is more realistic. Sizes tend to get exaggerated on the internet and by people selling them. While they're not the fastest-growing arboreal, my latest Sulawesi slings I got earlier this year have gone from 1 1/2" slings to 3 1/2 to 4" juveniles.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 06:06 AM ----------

Amen on the Avics growing slow. I have two slings that I bought at 1" and are almost 1 1/2" after about a year
The smaller-growing Avic species aren't likely to grow at the same rate as the larger species.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Same here on the Avics. Mine grow painfully slow. I have a 1/2" A.avic sling that hasn't molted in nearly 6 months. The only thing growing slower than that in my collection are my Euathlus sp.red slings.
That's been my experience with Avics. I bought a 1/2" Diversipes last December. Its maybe a hair over 3/4" right now a solid 10 months later. On one occasion, between molts, it didn't even eat once. Its been the most confusing to raise, lol.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Alrighty, I'm pretty sure some of you might be able to relate to me here. I bought an LP, whom I named River, a year ago. Back then it was about a fingernail in legspan. Now it's pretty much a long fingernail in legspan. It's only grown about half of its original size in a year, and it's an LP. It's a good indicator that it's female, supposedly, but god dammit I just want it to grow! :cry:

Anyone else had stubborn growers?
what are you feeding your Ts?? if prey doesn't move enough they wont attack it usually.
Can we see a pic maybe its just not finding its food.
My 7" female LP grew slow & I fed her once a week plenty of food.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
That's been my experience with Avics. I bought a 1/2" Diversipes last December. Its maybe a hair over 3/4" right now a solid 10 months later. On one occasion, between molts, it didn't even eat once. Its been the most confusing to raise, lol.
I must have good some versi's with good growth genes. In June I received 2 from separate lineages, both 1/2". They have both been good eaters and have molted about every 45 days, one is 1.25", the other I just measured at 1.5". I've been pleased with their growth rates so far.

My P. vitatta, which I expected fast growth from, has been growing slower than expected. Got it in april or may at 1.25", while it eats well, its much more tentative than the Psalmos, for example. It still molts every 45-50 days, but the subsequent growth hasn't been too extreme. Its now 2", not too bad, but admittedly slower than I expected.

My other fast growers (P. nigricolor, P. irminia, 2 P. cam) have all been growing like weeds, molting about once a month and gaining good size with each. They are all over 3" atm, and were 3/4" when received in spring...even my B. smithi has exhibited excellent growth, 1" in jan, now its 3.75"....my B. vagans and albiceps slings are growing more slowly, but there's one albiceps that's growing twice as fast as the others.