First time breeder, a few questions.

pruw

Arachnopeon
I just finished a breeding attempt with my GBB. She was tapping and received the male with open arms. However, once the male got an insert she decided she had enough and tried to eat him. I was watching them like a hawk and got my tongs in between them. He was able to get away, but not without losing a leg.

Will he be fine as is? Or do I need to get some liquid band-aid?

Another observation: After the Ts separated, the female began rubbing her epigastric furrow repeatedly. Why was she doing this?

Warm Regards and Cheers!

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
As long as she didn't pierce his carapace or abdomen he'll be fine. I'm going to guess the male was a little too rough on her :) lol!

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 06:53 PM ----------

Also if it keeps on bleeding then add some liquid bandages. But that shouldn't happen.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Rubbing the vent is usually a sign the male inserted his palps, but not always. In the majority of breedings I've done, I usually don't see that.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Rubbing the vent is usually a sign the male inserted his palps, but not always. In the majority of breedings I've done, I usually don't see that.
I always thought that was more a old world thing. Not saying new worlds don't do it, but I often see old worlds do it, while I've never seen any new worlds do it.

Later, Tom

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
He will be fine.
Mine lost his two back legs and then couldn't have sex anymore.
He was willing, but try as he might, he could no longer get any leverage to go under his sperm web, and just kept face planting into it repeatedly before eventually giving up.
It was kind of sad.

As long as he can still fill those palps, he should be good to go.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
He will be fine.
Mine lost his two back legs and then couldn't have sex anymore.
He was willing, but try as he might, he could no longer get any leverage to go under his sperm web, and just kept face planting into it repeatedly before eventually giving up.
It was kind of sad.

As long as he can still fill those palps, he should be good to go.
glad to know i always wondered.. a buddys mm irminia lost 2 back legs on 1 side and he seems willing, but hes always been concerned...also hes an odly big irminia so his girls smaller o.0 so if he looses 1 more back leg he may just have a prob reaching his web?? i suppose so long as they have a/both palps and can load up they are good? XD

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
glad to know i always wondered.. a buddys mm irminia lost 2 back legs on 1 side and he seems willing, but hes always been concerned...also hes an odly big irminia so his girls smaller o.0 so if he looses 1 more back leg he may just have a prob reaching his web?? i suppose so long as they have a/both palps and can load up they are good? XD
Yeah pretty much.
I would think an arboreal would have no problem as they make their sperm webs any which way and seem to be able to maneuver better. My GBB always made his sperm webs on the ground, requiring him to get on top and under it. Since he no longer had his back legs to steady himself as he tried to get under it, he would just fall on top of it "face" first when he tried. The web would eventually get ruined, and he'd just stop trying.
He successfully fathered slings though, and lived a couple of months past a year mature with six legs, so he had a good run.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I always thought that was more a old world thing. Not saying new worlds don't do it, but I often see old worlds do it, while I've never seen any new worlds do it.

Later, Tom

I haven't looked at it from a perspective of OW and NW. Since most of my spiders are OW, that my be where I'm seeing it.