Psalmopoeus irminia

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another fine beauty! Yet black with orange lightning bolt, a underrated spider that needs to be respected. This female molted two weeks ago.

Psalmopoeus irminia Adult Female

Jose

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful picture! However, I don't think this species is underrated at all. If anything, they tend to garner a lot of attention and are respected in the hobby.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This species is not underrated. Look around the forum, and you'll see how many people own them. P.cambridgei on the other hand is very underrated.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Psalmopoeus reduncus and the communal Psalmopoeus langenbucheri are the real underrated Psalmopoeus in the hobby.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Psalmopoeus reduncus and the communal Psalmopoeus langenbucheri are the real underrated Psalmopoeus in the hobby.
Along with emeraldus and victorii. It's a great genus. We need to have all of the species being bred in captivity.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Along with emeraldus and victorii. It's a great genus. We need to have all of the species being bred in captivity.
I'm talking about spiders that are readily available in the US hobby. Psalmopoeus emeraldus has been labeled as such, when it should really be Psalmopoeus cf. emeraldus until it is compared. The ones I've seen in the hobby look very close to P. pulcher and not worth the extra money, IMO.

And pulcher
The species I listed are more underrated than P. pulcher, P. irminia and P. cambridgei, as far as popularity goes and how many hobbyist actually keep them.

Last edited:

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
+1 to the P. reduncus I've got 2 juvies and they are wonderful. Love the colors on them. And they are atleast in my experience alot less reclusive than irminia

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Nice T Jose! Advan, I have searched around and can't seem to find pics of anything labeled Psalmopoeus emeraldus anywhere. I have 2 P. pulcher, both about 3" right now and I can say they have a little green in them, especially the carapice. I would like something to compare them to if you know of a place where I can find pics of this emeraldus. It would be greatly appreciated.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Probably my most favorite genus ever since I started the hobby. Beautiful, with personality, awesome spiders.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Here is my pulcher about a week after her molt. Anyone have input with comparison to emeraldus?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thru out the year of my experience of spider this genus and species has been over looked. I have a friend that hatched out babies of this species last year and also hatched out the Psalmopoeus cambridgei not one single person cared to buy them or have them as freebies. What a shame such beautiful genus and species......

Jose

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 02:57 PM ----------

Here is my pulcher about a week after her molt. Anyone have input with comparison to emeraldus?

I have only own the Psalmopoeus pulcher as babies. I have seen photos only of adult females of the Psalmopoeus pulcher. So as for myself I can't be much help with your spider. The lightning of your photo throws me off to see what your spider really looks like. The Psalmopoeus pulcher is another spider that I need to get as an adult. This genus is just plain beautiful!

Jose

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

Beautiful picture! However, I don't think this species is underrated at all. If anything, they tend to garner a lot of attention and are respected in the hobby.
Thanks for the compliment!

Jose

Last edited:

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great looking T. Once I get used to fast Ts this will be the first one I buy :D

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Or most Asian terrestrials.
Oh, yeah! You have -no- idea how fast Chilobrachys, Haplos and the like are - until you have seen it with your own eyes! My big fimbriatus girl is pretty chill generally, but if she gets fired up you have to be on your top to prevent her from running all over the place! And I rather not get tagged by her either...would suck.