Weight of Tank for Terrestrial Species

Potential

Arachnopeon
Forgive me for stupid questions, but I do have a predator cat and some large dogs in my house as I contemplate adding a T to our family.

I'm looking at a Chaco, which I know is a terrestrial new world species. I have a 10 gallon tank-no problems there, but are the substrates "heavy"? Large dogs and light tanks aren't a good mix in my house. I wouldn't want my T to have his home bumped and him get hurt because the tank falls.

His home would be in my bedroom. That's where I spend most of my relaxation time and where most of the animals in the house hang out.

cold blood

Staff member
Large dogs and light tanks aren't a good mix in my house.
Are your dogs out of control? You make it sound like they aren't well trained. If you did your due diligence training the dogs, they shouldn't be an issue. If the dogs have been given proper boundaries and training, they shouldn't be an issue. My dog has full access and I don't give it a second thought because she knows her limitations and boundaries. She walks right by little deli cups that could be blown away by a strong enough breeze. All depends on the dogs and the trust level you have with them, if you own the Bumpus hounds (from "A Christmas Story), it might be a bad idea.

I'd worry more about cats if you have well trained dogs....if the dogs and/or cat are out of control you either need to find a locked area for t's, or just not bring one in.

Potential

Arachnopeon
Are your dogs out of control? You make it sound like they aren't well trained. If you did your due diligence training the dogs, they shouldn't be an issue. If the dogs have been given proper boundaries and training, they shouldn't be an issue. My dog has full access and I don't give it a second thought because she knows her limitations and boundaries. She walks right by little deli cups that could be blown away by a strong enough breeze. All depends on the dogs and the trust level you have with them, if you own the Bumpus hounds (from "A Christmas Story), it might be a bad idea.

I'd worry more about cats if you have well trained dogs....if the dogs and/or cat are out of control you either need to find a locked area for t's, or just not bring one in.
Are you serious? I ask about tank weight and you go on a dog tirade? Really?

FYI-I've been training dogs for 30 years. My dogs are well-trained. Well-trained doesn't have squat to do with deli cups and strong breezes. If you knew what you thought you knew-you would be well aware of this.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I have a Bull Mastiff, a Doberman Pincher and 240ish tarantulas in lite weight plastic enclosures. I'd be more worried about stale air in a poorly ventilated fish tank than what a well trained dog is going to do with it. Fish aquariums are a poor choice for tarantula enclosures because you can't provide air holes at the substrate level and screen tops are dangerous because T's get their toes caught resulting in losing legs.

My dogs don't mess with my T's, not even the slightest bit curious about them. If you think your dog will bother your tarantulas, put them on a shelf out of the pooches reach ;)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Well packed substrate with minimal fall room in a 10 gallon should be relatively heavy but then I'm a weak marshmallow. You could add a false bottom with clay balls or even rocks to give it some extra heft.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Are you serious? I ask about tank weight and you go on a dog tirade? Really?

FYI-I've been training dogs for 30 years. My dogs are well-trained. Well-trained doesn't have squat to do with deli cups and strong breezes. If you knew what you thought you knew-you would be well aware of this.

That's a bit unnecessary.

cold blood

Staff member
You answered the question then, if they're well trained, dogs shouldn't be an issue with ANY enclosure you choose. It wasn't a "tirade", it was simple questions as to your dogs behavior, no reason to take it personal at all....LMFAO. And well trained has EVERYTHING to do with the situation. I think you'll be just fine with the pups...cats are another story, I'll let someone with cats go there.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Relax Potential. You joined this forum less than a week ago. No need to go flying off the handle this soon and over that.
I see the relevance of cold blood's post. A ten-gallon tank is by no means light. But to keep the most determined pet from knocking it over, put the tank on the bottom shelf of your bookshelf and wedge books in on either side of it, so the only thing a cat or dog could do is push the tank against the backing.
You might want to think of a better place to keep your Chaco if there's that much activity in your room. Spiders are like old men ; they value peace and quiet.
A ten gallon tank is only appropriate for a fully grown Chaco. I would recommend you get a juvenile, keep it in a critter keeper and place that inside the ten gallon tank with rocks on the floor to weigh it down, for peace of mind.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
cats are another story, I'll let someone with cats go there.
Cats can usually jump up to wherever you put a spider cage. They're more interested in the feeders (crickets, etc) than the spider. To a dog, it's pretty boring, but to a cat, crickets are like little toys to them. Screen's not a good top, for many reasons, cat's being one of them, plus the fact that adult terrestrial T's are known to chew thru fiberglass and aluminum screen and escape. Lids are an issue with aquariums.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 11:44 AM ----------

Relax Potential. You joined this forum less than a week ago. No need to go flying off the handle this soon and over that.

That's not the way to make friends and get help. Let's start over with a clean slate.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think the advice given so far on the 10 gallon is pretty spot on. That said, I know how dogs and cats can be and it appears to me that you are just being cautious. I understand that training a dog will not guarantee that the dog won't bump into something and knock it over accidentally. I've been around dogs enough to know that they don't seem to have any idea what the end they don't eat with is doing back there. I also know that it only takes one bump to send something priceless crashing to the floor. I don't think the OP was saying that the dogs or cat intentionally try to destroy everything in their path, I assume they wouldn't be allowed to spend so much free time inside if that were the case. I think the OP was simply asking how much would an item need to weigh to prevent a dog's clumsiness from pushing that item off onto the floor. As for the cat, well, cats are curious and if they ever see a T move they will definitely be interested enough to try to eat it most of the time. Fortunately there are enclosures designed to prevent such hostile intrusions. I've seen some really great acrylic enclosures on here that would be perfect. Also Exo-Terra enclosures are well suited to the task. They also have the added benefit of being pretty heavy so that would help.

I hope everything goes well and you are able to find just the right animal to suit your need and a home just right to suit it's needs. Good luck and welcome to the boards