Depressed tarantulas in captivity

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm guilty of using a slightly misleading subject line. We all know that tarantulas don't have emotions.

Is there any awareness in them that they are in captivity? Or sense of being confined? In the case of a mature male with a desire to roam, is there frustration (not the right word, but you know what I mean)?

I ask because I have a jumping spider that I have been fattening up, and he/she is gorgeous - they are very, very active and roaming the entire enclosure. I imagine it's just looking for prey, but I wonder if there's any instinctive feeling of confinement.

Just curious what people understand as far as a tarantula's awareness of being captive.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Well they probably "feel" a sense of "awkwardness" in captivity since they don't have their normal, seasonal temperatures and humidity but other than that I'd guess not.

To my knowledge tarantulas can feel emotions just not on the same level as mammals. For example, when you ship a tarantula it probably gets stressed while being shipped.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think we are well enough equipped to know what tarantulas experience other than potentially types of visual stimulus. It is a possibility that they may have rudimentary emotional responses. (Unrelatedly: I believe that through over 2 decades of close observation that fish clearly display emotion.)

As far as captive vs wild behavior, truth is that we don't have a lot of data on most species' daily activity. They are generally very reclusive.

It seems though that most species are likely not too far off base, due to the fact that hunting, staying well nourished, maximal growth, and breeding successfully has been attained with well provided for tarantulas of almost every species we have access to. These are regarded as rough metrics for fulfillment.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I try to sleep at night and I hear my MM Euathlus parvulus drumming at his enclosure walls.... He didn't do this until he came back from a breeding loan. Now he won't stop moving. I'm letting it be for now. But I may have to get a larger enclosure for him. His is just large enough to accomadate him as he's maybe only 2.5" max. But it has cork and a hide and he wandersbtge perimeter constantly a tap tap tappin. A bigger home may not stop the behavior but may make his constant circling of his snug custom tub for a mate a bit less "frustrating"?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We all know that tarantulas don't have emotions.
And you know this how? They certainly must feel something when basic drives are satisfied, whether food, water, security, evading a predator, etc. And stressed & anxious when they're deprived of those. They can't feel pain, and a sense of relief when it stops? Set your ego aside; a lot of human emotions are driven by satisfying the same basic urges every animal has.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
And you know this how? They certainly must feel something when basic drives are satisfied, whether food, water, security, evading a predator, etc. And stressed & anxious when they're deprived of those. They can't feel pain, and a sense of relief when it stops? Set your ego aside; a lot of human emotions are driven by satisfying the same basic urges every animal has.
+1 I think relief is the greatest feeling a living thing can feel....and if they feel that...then they must feel more than we can understand.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Your posts are always so insightful. I feel you're a mentor to many on here.
I also agree everything has emotions. It's just the fact we don't have technology to read anything other than "instinct"
Biologists don't even have a way to measure reptile intelligence let alone start to comprehend emotional expression. I'd imagine it's even more difficult for arachnids...we have too many walls to understand.
However, these topics really interest me as I'm going to school for neuropsych.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
But to answer the OP original question.... Yes....I believe on an instinctual level, they might feel confined. This feeling could be diminished due to captive breeding, but may not ever go away. Think about it. Every creature is designed to roam freely and explore its environment.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 08:25 PM ----------

Your posts are always so insightful. I feel you're a mentor to many on here.
I also agree everything has emotions. It's just the fact we don't have technology to read anything other than "instinct"
Biologists don't even have a way to measure reptile intelligence let alone start to comprehend emotional expression. I'd imagine it's even more difficult for arachnids...we have too many walls to understand.
However, these topics really interest me as I'm going to school for neuropsych.
Missed this post. Bravo. The mind amongst all creatures may be the most difficult thing we conquer the complete understanding. We may travel through time before we break down this wall.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
But to answer the OP original question.... Yes....I believe on an instinctual level, they might feel confined. This feeling could be diminished due to captive breeding, but may not ever go away. Think about it. Every creature is designed to roam freely and explore its environment.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 08:25 PM ----------

Missed this post. Bravo. The mind amongst all creatures may be the most difficult thing we conquer the complete understanding. We may travel through time before we break down this wall.
Completely agree. Though they are making human progress with people with severe autism, getting them to communicate with programs. I've heard some technology to read dog thoughts, though very basic and not very good... If mammals and humans have some possibility of this perhaps it won't be long to get reptilian or arachnid cumbersome technology too. Give it a few centuries.
Our ghosts can hover around to wait ;)

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Actually a recent study is sweeping the reptile world were a trained bearded dragon opened a locked door infront of other bearded dragons to get a treat for himself. The bearded dragons that watched him were able to figure out how to open the door. The group that didn't see the bearded dragon did not open the door.

pretty cool stuff actually :)

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Liz...gon-Lizards-Are-Smarter-That-You-Might-Think/

gobey

Arachnoknight
Actually a recent study is sweeping the reptile world were a trained bearded dragon opened a locked door infront of other bearded dragons to get a treat for himself. The bearded dragons that watched him were able to figure out how to open the door. The group that didn't see the bearded dragon did not open the door.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Liz...gon-Lizards-Are-Smarter-That-You-Might-Think/
How much of that problem solving equates to emotion as well? Does intelligence = emotions?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
They lack a limbic system, which pretty much nullifies any emotions for them. Outside of that, you're delving into purely philosophical ideas with regards to emotions vs instinct/urges.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire

That's too cool. I'd love to see more research

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 10:22 PM ----------

How much of that problem solving equates to emotion as well? Does intelligence = emotions?
I think the fact of the manner is there are too many variables. We barely have a concept between human intelligence and regards to emotional capacity.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 10:26 PM ----------

They lack a limbic system, which pretty much nullifies any emotions for them. Outside of that, you're delving into purely philosophical ideas with regards to emotions vs instinct/urges.
But that's a human brain. I don't think there are any arachnid neuroscientists out there. Parts of brains function differently between people(thus the lack of specific explanation for mental illness) I can imagine a barely delved into science can even vaguely be understood. Think of Freud only a bit over a century ago!
This conversation is so stimulating!

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
You're projecting human emotions upon arachnid physiology that *doesn't* have the parts or processes that give forth our emotional response.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
None of my tarantulas show the slightest bit of remorse after killing crickets.
And do you? And what about the cows that are slaughtered in order to feed you? Remorse?

Last edited: