GBB Behavior is This Normal???

thizzcat56

Arachnopeon
So I am a new T owner of a male GBB. I have had him for about two weeks. I just had some questions about his behavior in his enclosure and if It was normal? I put a small hide in his enclosure but he has not used it since the first few hours in his new home. He has now webbed most of the enclosure and spends most of his time off of the substrate out and about and on the side of the enclosure(pic 1&2). For the most part he only goes into his homemade "tunnel or den" out of web when he gets scared or is eating(pic 3&4).

Is it normal for this species to be out and about a lot? Also as a beginner I was wondering if by feeding him twice a week with one small cricket and one small dubia roach was too much? When I do feed him he eats so quickly that his food doesn't even have a chance to walk so its very entertaining! Any info would help. Thanks!
IMG_1602.jpg
IMG_1603.jpg
IMG_1601.jpg
IMG_1521.jpg

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine is usually out and about. If he is mature than he will constantly roam his tank endlessly.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
They generally don't use hides like that unless they are very roomy. They usually make their own as yours has done.

You can feed him however you like. The more you do, the faster he will grow.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd add that in the case of that particular container, I'd add some sticks leaned against the sides. Your GBB will construct more of a webcastle that way most likely very quickly.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'd personally add more substrate just to be safe. You seem to be on the edge of what's acceptable and what's not. Other than that I'd guess he's just getting settled in. I'd feed him one large feeder once a week or once every other week IMO.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
All of the above. My GBB acts more arboreal than my arboreals.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine only did when it was a sling. It's now exclusively terrestrial.

Akai

Arachnobaron
The more anchor points the more intricate webbing a GBB will produce for their web retreats especially as adults. Basically these are fantastic display tarantulas so enjoy!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
The more anchor points the more intricate webbing a GBB will produce for their web retreats especially as adults. Basically these are fantastic display tarantulas so enjoy!
isnt that the truth! both of mine hav used almost all webbing anchors possible. even where they wont be living, one thinks its arboreal other terrestrial. and they even use the plastic nubs from drilling the holes [i ment them a lil so not sharp but allowed to be used as anchor points] cant wait to get a fem or find out if my terrestrial is fem so i can deck out a 5 gallon [container] soo hard XD i can only immagine how much webbing both of mine would use if i drilled into a cork background and liquid nailed in some leaves XD [gota wait for a female to make those plans tho =[

thizzcat56

Arachnopeon
I'd personally add more substrate just to be safe. You seem to be on the edge of what's acceptable and what's not. Other than that I'd guess he's just getting settled in. I'd feed him one large feeder once a week or once every other week IMO.
If I wanted to add more substrate would that mean completely clearing out his current webbing and adding more substrate? Because as of now I feel like he is already starting to make a comfortable home.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
IMO you don't need to add substrate. It's still fairly small, there isn't really anything hard alongside the walls, and the whole thing will be filled with webs to the top fairly soon anyway.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always considered GBBs 'vertical terrestrial' so yes, it's a pretty normal behavioral pattern. Look at the photos, it's already building its way up. I concur that the best thing to do now is to introduce more potential vertical web anchors into the enclosure

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've always considered GBBs 'vertical terrestrial' so yes, it's a pretty normal behavioral pattern. Look at the photos, it's already building its way up. I concur that the best thing to do now is to introduce more potential vertical web anchors into the enclosure
Horizontally-challenged arboreal, let's be PC about it everyone... Lol jk

thizzcat56

Arachnopeon
Update on enclosure: I have added a small stick in the enclosure to add an anchor point as some have suggested. Does this look like a good addition? Its been in his enclosure for about 12 hours but he has interacted with it yet.

IMG_1633.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg