Premolt?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I think my two roseas are gonna molt soon. Both been on hunger strikes and look darker and thicker than before.

cold blood

Staff member
This is literally the only species I have been around where I could never pinpoint pre-molt...Every time mine molts it takes me by surprise. I think its a combination of frequent and random fasting, usually not related to molt IME, and the fact that they are so reluctant to flick hairs (at least mine is), so you never really get a clear view of the "skin" on the abdomen...that and they tend to be pet rocks that often remain sedentary much of the time (like a PM t might be more inclined to do), so they really don't act much different when in that pre-molt period. Also they molt so damn infrequently that its not always on my mind (mine molts about every 4 years)...good luck on your assumption.

How big are yours? I've never had a juvie or sling, mine was full grown when I got her 14 years ago.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If I had a dollar for every post here where people assume their spider is premolt, and it goes on for months before it sheds. It's harder to tell than most people think. Sometimes they eat just days before a shed, other times they stop eating well in advance. Roseas are particularly frustrating, as they routinely go on fasts for months at a time without apparent reason.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I had a dollar for every post here where people assume their spider is premolt, and it goes on for months before it sheds. It's harder to tell than most people think. Sometimes they eat just days before a shed, other times they stop eating well in advance. Roseas are particularly frustrating, as they routinely go on fasts for months at a time without apparent reason.
I second this. It's almost impossible to tell with Roseas.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Oh lord so I'm just being assuming. One looks more likely than the other. She's 4"DSL and is neurotic so I can see her skin darkening
I guess I will leave it to one of those surprises in life ;)

---------- Post added 10-07-2014 at 10:20 PM ----------

My rosea sling is much easier to judge because it's still so light . Every other T of mine has had specific molting behaviors and these guys just throw me for a loop.
Time will tell!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My adult female G. rosea/porteri, who only molts about every 3 years, starts getting crusty butt about one year prior to a molt. About a month prior to molting the setae on her abdomen appear to start standing on end and she starts gently thinning out some of the setae on the sides of her abdomen. About a week prior to molting her abdomen starts appearing darker through the thinned setae. (She's not a hair kicker and has never had a bald spot in my care.) A few days prior to each of her last two molts, she moved to an area of her enclosure that she rarely frequents and set up camp. Her appetite has always been erratic, so I never use that as an indicator.
In 2011 I noted both that she accepted a cricket on September 8 and was rubbing hairs off her abdomen and causing a thinning effect. September 29 I noted that her abdomen appeared to be darkening. She molted on October 8.
August 31, 2013 I noted that she was starting to get crusty butt (mirror patch getting flaky). She took a cricket on May 29, 2014, started rubbing hairs mid June. I noted 'premolt' on 28 June, she molted on 17 July.

My rosea/porteri sling is a little harder to tell and I got lazy and didn't make very detailed notes on her pre-molt status. Being a sling, she usually eats pretty well. As I recall, I noted 'pre-molt' when she turned down food.
I remember her first molt with me in June 2013 was sort of a surprise. (~1.25")
16 Oct 13 I just noted 'pre-molt', she molted on 9 Nov 13. (~1.5")
2014: 17 July I noted 'pre-molt', she molted 30 July. (~2.0")

cold blood

Staff member
My adult female G. rosea/porteri, who only molts about every 3 years, starts getting crusty butt about one year prior to a molt. About a month prior to molting the setae on her abdomen appear to start standing on end and she starts gently thinning out some of the setae on the sides of her abdomen. About a week prior to molting her abdomen starts appearing darker through the thinned setae. (She's not a hair kicker and has never had a bald spot in my care.) A few days prior to each of her last two molts, she moved to an area of her enclosure that she rarely frequents and set up camp. Her appetite has always been erratic, so I never use that as an indicator.
In 2011 I noted both that she accepted a cricket on September 8 and was rubbing hairs off her abdomen and causing a thinning effect. September 29 I noted that her abdomen appeared to be darkening. She molted on October 8.
August 31, 2013 I noted that she was starting to get crusty butt (mirror patch getting flaky). She took a cricket on May 29, 2014, started rubbing hairs mid June. I noted 'premolt' on 28 June, she molted on 17 July.

My rosea/porteri sling is a little harder to tell and I got lazy and didn't make very detailed notes on her pre-molt status. Being a sling, she usually eats pretty well. As I recall, I noted 'pre-molt' when she turned down food.
I remember her first molt with me in June 2013 was sort of a surprise. (~1.25")
16 Oct 13 I just noted 'pre-molt', she molted on 9 Nov 13. (~1.5")
2014: 17 July I noted 'pre-molt', she molted 30 July. (~2.0")
Nice to have one that rubs hairs, mine never has.