To web or not to web...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just rehoused my avic avic almost three weeks ago. In her old cage she was a big time webber, and she hasn't started webbing at all in this new cage, but she does eat well. Should I be concerned?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Just rehoused my avic avic almost three weeks ago. In her old cage she was a big time webber, and she hasn't started webbing at all in this new cage, but she does eat well. Should I be concerned?
As long as she's eating, that's a good sign. Do you have a number of anchor points for her, so she can attach silk to them, when the mood hits? I use Zoo Med plastic vine-type plants, a large bag is $5. Cut to fit. Avics, like most tarantulas don't like to be stranded out in the open.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412715164.299264.jpg
This is her new enclosure, so I'm thinking yes?

--J.Haas

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Are those silk plants? If so, did you rinse the dye out of them? Do they have any fragrance? Anything spiders walk on ends up in their mouths, as they're meticulous about cleaning their feet (in their mouths). Is there a water bowl in there?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
suprized peoc didnt say something about cross venting [no offence poec] as i see no holes for it and stagnant air is where we get "S.A.D.S." i mean it looks nice, the only thing i would personally change besides air would be maybe add some more plants and hot clue them to the background? maybe even have a few go to the top of the cage taking with hot glue, as arboreals like their tube to typically be at the top, and your kind of cutting him/her 1/4 the way there. [some wont care but a few will] other then those few nitpicky things its fine. some T's take a little bit to settle in befor they start webbing, to where others take moments

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cross ventilation is a must have with Avics.

By the way, it took my Amazonica over a month before it finally made a tube web. Avics seem to take longer to settle in and start webbing.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a diff view? I'm pretty sure she's doing everything normally, using her water dish everyday and eating well as well as exploring, just no web...

--J.Haas

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are two screens one on the side and one on the top, it's hard to see

--J.Haas

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That's a lot of ventilation. When it's dry outside and/or you're running the furnace, you can keep that cage a little moister; it won't stay too humid for long.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I would have suggested that, but the sides are glass.
verry true cant exactly drill glass with a T in it either XD

i wouldnt consider that CROSS ventilation but i suppose it is alot of ventilation o.0 either way as i said only thing id do would be give her tiume maybe add a little more foliage as they live in trees and need to feel secure :)

Last edited:

Akai

Arachnobaron
interesting enclosure you have there. i don't think i've seen one like it. does the side vent screen slide up or is it just the top the only access?

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Is that nylon window screen you're using? I know RobC uses nylon screen for his arboreal enclosures, but I feel safer using aluminum screen. Although, if your spider really wants to get out, aluminum screen won't stop it either. There have been posts here describing Ts chewing through aluminum screen vents, however, I don't think the chewers were Avics.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The side screen slides up, as well as the top sliding, it's a really nice design, great for an avic I thought

---------- Post added 10-08-2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

I'm not sure what kind of screen it is, she rarely sits on the screen either, but crazy that they could chew through!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The side screen slides up, as well as the top sliding, it's a really nice design, great for an avic I thought

---------- Post added 10-08-2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

I'm not sure what kind of screen it is, she rarely sits on the screen either, but crazy that they could chew through!
There's been pics posted here of holes in screen where T's have escaped.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! They're determined lil buggers aren't they

--J.Haas

David VB

Arachnosquire
I bought an A. avicularia 2 weeks ago and he/she also didn't web yet in the enclosure. I have bark and real plants, so i guess they just take longer to get comfortable in a new environment.