A.Versicolor Sling Not Feeding

cammy

Arachnopeon
Hey, just a quick question. My a.versicolor sling has not eaten in 2 weeks, is it in Pre-Molt or is it just not hungry? How long can slings go without eating?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Well other than the fact that it's not eating, you haven't given us any information so no one can tell you which it is. In all likelihood though it's fine--so long as the rump is full and not shriveled or thin I wouldn't worry. Just make sure there is a source of hydration.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
The length of time without eating can vary from species to species. With the versicolor in particular you may want to keep an eye on if under 1" or so. The best method Ive found is to carefully drop the prey item onto them (or down the side of the container to them) and that will usually trigger a feeding response. Try to feed one item once a week, remove anything uneaten in 24hrs. Ive had plenty of avic slings with tiny crickets just jumping around the bottom , thats why I tend to do the drop method. Best of luck and post some more details!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
First thing: how big is the abdomen compared to the head (from above)? Premolt spiders are usually plump.

Next: review your conditions. Avic cages need an inch of dry substrate and cross ventilation, along with reasonably warm temps. They should have places to hide (cork and plastic plants) so they feel secure. Water bowls provide the humidity. I only mist lightly on the spider's silk so it can drink once a week or so, not for boosting humidity. The most common mistake new Avic owners make is to overmist, get the soil soggy, and create a damp cage. That kills Avics. MUCH better to be a little on the dry side, than a little too wet.

My Avic slings start making a sheet/tube within days of being in a new cage, sometimes within hours. This is an important factor in them settling in. I use 16 oz deli cups for my Avics slings, they're the perfect size and height.