Burrowing Ts

Amimia

Arachnosquire
I currently have two burrowing Ts in my care, and one of them is definitely heading for a molt soon. My question is, do they come out of their burrows to molt? Also, not that I think this is going to happen soon, how will I know if one of them dies?

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
If the burrow is big enough, they will almost always molt in the burrow and then discard the molt outside afterwards. My E. Murinus is too big to molt in its burrow, so it came out and molted in front of it the most recent molt. Plus its a lot more bold than it use to be, it stays out during the day sometimes. If an obligate burrowers dies in the burrow, you will smell it. Most of the reasons for death are dehydration, and its far more likely it will come out of the burrow in search of water and die on the surface (but not always). Mites and a bad molt can be another reason one would die inside the burrow. All of my burrowing species I keep the surface fairly moist to make sure the substrate below (where the T lives) does not start to dry out.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I have a sling that just spent 25 days in its burrow and molted in there. They do molt as slings in burrows often. Be patient. You T will be out and about when ready. Come to think of it I have an A. hentzi sling that's been underground since early August. Fortunately her burrow is visible through the side of the enclosure. She's still plump, just doing her thing.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone! Another quick question, do you sometimes need to help your T find the food?

awiec

Arachnoprince
+2.

Some in my keep, depending on size, will do some work on their burrow making it larger and more suitable to molt.
I have had only one case of a sling not doing that and then getting stuck in a molt, P.muticus of all things. I was able to rescue it and after it had perked up after a good meal it then proceeded to make a very large and tall tunnel system and has molted successfully in the burrow since then. Though the majority of the time the sling will make sure it has appropriate room to molt.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're concerned about keeping an eye on your burrowing Ts, you can put an upside down plastic cup in the bottom of the enclosure before adding the dirt, to encourage them to burrow along the sides. Not that this will be much help till your next rehousing.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
If you're concerned about keeping an eye on your burrowing Ts, you can put an upside down plastic cup in the bottom of the enclosure before adding the dirt, to encourage them to burrow along the sides. Not that this will be much help till your next rehousing.
That's a great tip thanks! I'm going to do that as I need to rehouse my Chilobrachys soon.