Picked up Four new T's...bite my head off I'm ready Xd

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Picked up Four new T's...bite my head off I'm ready XD (Pics added)

It's just in my nature to take risks. I've done so much research on all of these guys, I assure you, I have learned all I could before getting these. I might add that I absolutely saved these guys, previous owner didn't know a fraction of the thing's I do for them and had issue's due to it. Anyways, here's what I have and what I got today:

Have:
B. Smithi
G. Porteri
A. Avic

Got today:
G. Pulchra
L. Parahybana
P. Irminia
P. Ornata

I know what you're thinking, I was thinking it too but I'm telling you, they are better off with my husband and I. All but the pokie look to be adults... he won't need rehoused for AWHILE...thank god.

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Err well you do realize when we suggest ladder Ts we don't mean to buy the entire ladder at once? Good luck with the P.ornata. A word of advice on them: leave them be until they set up a retreat AND don't open the lid until you see them go into it.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Hey Headless,
Good luck with the pokie. That's the only species in the genus that I'm not going to keep. Just don't handle it and you should be fine.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Err well you do realize when we suggest ladder Ts we don't mean to buy the entire ladder at once? Good luck with the P.ornata. A word of advice on them: leave them be until they set up a retreat AND don't open the lid until you see them go into it.
Haha. Yea I do and I totally agree with how everyone most probably feels. The Ornata I won't be messing with at all, that guy is all my husbands, but no we will be doing the bare minimal. I grabbed these guys in their previous enclosures so they have already made retreats and are as comfy as one can be after being moved around. Thank you for your advice =)

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Err well you do realize when we suggest ladder Ts we don't mean to buy the entire ladder at once?......
LOL! Good one, Belle. :D

Of your new ones, Babysin, the only one I DON"T have yet is the ornata. You will quickly come to adore the pulchra, it's one of my favourites.

The LP should become a true giant (7-8"), and it's fascinating to watch something that large lumber around. WAY easier to look after than, say, a T.stirmi, with its fussy humidity requirements.

The irminia is a beautiful T....when you see it. Mine hides behind her dirt & web curtain most of the time, but made an appearance last night at feeding time. Just a word of warning: They are LIGHTNING quick, much more so than the pokies. Only the Taps are faster.

Let me know how you make out with your ornata, as I'm looking to pick up one next month, along with a P. Formosa and a P. Miranda. :)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice. I need more poecs. I've been concentrating on Avics for a while.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
LOL! Good one, Belle. :D

Of your new ones, Babysin, the only one I DON"T have yet is the ornata. You will quickly come to adore the pulchra, it's one of my favourites.

The LP should become a true giant (7-8"), and it's fascinating to watch something that large lumber around. WAY easier to look after than, say, a T.stirmi, with its fussy humidity requirements.

The irminia is a beautiful T....when you see it. Mine hides behind her dirt & web curtain most of the time, but made an appearance last night at feeding time. Just a word of warning: They are LIGHTNING quick, much more so than the pokies. Only the Taps are faster.

Let me know how you make out with your ornata, as I'm looking to pick up one next month, along with a P. Formosa and a P. Miranda. :)
The pulchra was who I really wanted, then I started seeing the others and enclosure conditions. Keep in mind I got these for a steal, 100$'
All but my pokie I believe are sub adult/adults, the L.P is already a confirmed 7 inch MM. Irminia and Pulchra look to be roughly 4.5- 5 in. The Ornata is about 4 inch, he's just a leggy little thing.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
People give Poecs too much fear mongering.

Respect their space and you won't be close enough to get bit.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Pictures of the Three I can get

Irminia is a hider as expected =)

LP.jpg 7 in MM L.P
pulchra.jpg Pulchra (Empty water dish was from when I got her, Original owner wasn't keeping up on that with any of them)
ornata.jpg Ornata

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
[strike]Did you mean to order a MM L.parahybana?[/strike]
Nevermind, I just saw the oddly formatted sidenote that you know it's MM.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
[strike]Did you mean to order a MM L.parahybana?[/strike]
Nevermind, I just saw the oddly formatted sidenote that you know it's MM.
Yea I didn't order them, I drove 2 hrs to st. Aug fl to pick up a few and though hes a MM I still wanted him. She also had an OBT (see I wasn't completely retarded) a female b. Smithi and 2 roseas (One was a RCF the other was a very interesting color rosea that I haven't seen) that I did not take, though I was tempted.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yea I didn't order them, I drove 2 hrs to st. Aug fl to pick up a few and though hes a MM I still wanted him. She also had an OBT (see I wasn't completely retarded) a female b. Smithi and 2 roseas (One was a RCF the other was a very interesting color rosea that I haven't seen) that I did not take, though I was tempted.
I would've taken them all... If you got all you did for $100. Is an OBT really more of a handful than a P. ornata? Aren't ornatas the fussier pokies. Not to mention the ones that get like 9 or 10 inches? They're probably around the same speed right?

Anyways nice Ts. Are you going to loan out the L. parahybana? Or just give him hospis? :)

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
I would've taken them all... If you got all you did for $100. Is an OBT really more of a handful than a P. ornata? Aren't ornatas the fussier pokies. Not to mention the ones that get like 9 or 10 inches? They're probably around the same speed right?

Anyways nice Ts. Are you going to loan out the L. parahybana? Or just give him hospis? :)
I would have gotten all of then if I could have spent more than a 100, I didn't wanna just rip her off (friend of the husband) so we told her if she wants to get rid of more in a few months (weeks...? XD) I'll come grab em. She does wanna keep the b. Smithi as she says it's the most chill besides the pulchra that I came for. I do really wanna loan out the L.P and honestly all I'd want is four slings if it is a success. I'm not ready for a bunch of slings but I'd want a few to ensure I get a female.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Ornatas are more high strung. Still nothing like an OBT though.
I see. I haven't had much experience with pokies other than regalis slings. One's a total scardy cat and one is pretty calm. I've much more with OBTs. Although I'm not an expert or anything. Just a few months. Mostly feeding and cleaning. One rehousing and one unpacking and housing of another. I've seen one that's pretty high strung when bothered, and another young adult female that's rather calm actually. Although I know,this isn't the norm. Just don't touch her and you're fine. Honestly the OBT slings make me more on edge than the adults. They're real spastic and I worry more they'll bolt and get lost.

I can't imagine a 10" arboreal though. I'm still mentally preparing myself for the regalis to hit 7" one day. :)

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
I can't imagine a 10" arboreal though. I'm still mentally preparing myself for the regalis to hit 7" one day. :)
Yea I'm still trying to mentally prepare for that as well, he's still small (in comparison to his adult size) so I'm hoping in that time I'll learn a bunch.

Unfortunately I didnt even see the obt as one would expect and I wasn't going to disturb him.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Is an OBT really more of a handful than a P. ornata? Aren't ornatas the fussier pokies. Not to mention the ones that get like 9 or 10 inches? They're probably around the same speed right?
- P murinus ARE more of a handful than Poecs. Poecs are fast and can be high strung. Murinus add in the cranky factor.

- Fussy? In what way? Ornata are easy to keep. They're not any more defensive than any other Poec.

- I've never seen or owned a Poec over 8". Anything above that is going to be an unusually large specimen. About 10 genera have species of terrestrials or arboreals hit 8", very few go much above that.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Agree with Poec I know they can hit it but it takes decades to hit and probably a VERY good diet, only a few old world terrestrials I have seen over 8 is a 9 inch P.Goliath at the Queensland museum and one of Steve Nunns Goliaths, can't vouch for anything else but I know King Baboons can hit 8.. not that I have seen one at that size but I know they do and I have seen P.Ornatas and Poecilotheria rufilata over 8 inch, I know Robc had one that he claimed was 11 inch, sorry Rob no offense but there is just no way on earth that girl was 11 inches, she was a huge girl but she looked about 9.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
- P murinus ARE more of a handful than Poecs. Poecs are fast and can be high strung. Murinus add in the cranky factor.

- Fussy? In what way? Ornata are easy to keep. They're not any more defensive than any other Poec.

- I've never seen or owned a Poec over 8". Anything above that is going to be an unusually large specimen. About 10 genera have species of terrestrials or arboreals hit 8", very few go much above that.
Thanks for clearing that up. Size seems to always be exaggerated with these animals.

I had just heard from other members that ornatas tend to be the more defensive of the Poecs, whereas others are supposedly calmer.

Again my experience is close to nil with both.