My last question of the day, promise...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a MF Chaco gold knee and when I got her they said she was over five years old. I've had her a year almost and I'm wondering how long she may take to molt, as I am planning to breed her and I know that i have to wait for a molt before she can "conceive". How long will she be in premolt (her booty is getting dark)? And how frequently do they molt usually. Can't find any articles specifically on molting regarding this specific species. Thanks to anyone that can give me any info. Thx!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412980831.952109.jpg

Here she is (rhonda) dunno y the pic turned black and white, it's just to get the general size and shape

--J.Haas

cold blood

Staff member
Lol, depends on the individual....But I would personally expect at least a 4 month pre-molt, could be double that.

When mine was 3.5" it spend 6 full months in pre-molt...its subsequent molts have been much quicker, but its still young, maybe 4.25".

We can only guess

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fair enough my friend, I know it's all variable guess I just gotta wait... Tick tock tick tock

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Young adults like her will typically molt once a year - seasonally - except of course if they don't:) My adults are in that trend right now. I keep my T's on SoCal temps. Once her rump gets good and dark, and the outermost layer looks transparent the molt will come within a week or a month. Photos of this phase, like most all tarantula photos, don't quite capture that depth of color so keep an eye on it for a noticeable change.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, I've noticed she's much duller than when we first got her. Is there anyway to speed up the process? Like feeding more? Or is that not good for her...

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks, I've noticed she's much duller than when we first got her. Is there anyway to speed up the process? Like feeding more? Or is that not good for her...
You can only feed a willing t, very often they go on pretty good pre-molt fasts where food interest will be very low, if not gone completely.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, good, they won't eat themselves to death then I'm hoping!

Thanks for the lucky wishes