New T suggestions

cold blood

Staff member
Giant white knee or brazilain red and white ?
Which one should I go for ?
They both get large, the genic gets larger, they both grow fast, the genic grows faster, they both have good appetites, the genic's is epic, and therefore greater. The chromatus is also more skittish. Both are equally notorious for their hairs.

My vote is clearly Acanthoscurria geniculata.

I actually had this same dilemma this spring, I had always wanted a genic, but after seeing the chromatus, I thought it looked better because of the lighter carapace, so just based on that as a tiebreaker, I got the Nhandu. I really thought the differences were going to be more subtle. While N. chromatus is cool, and all of the things listed above, mine is so skittish that I have only gotten to see it eat once...it has no issues eating, it just doesn't like to be watched...and when I do look with the light, it moves away from it (got it at 3/4", its now a hair over 2" and in heavy pre-molt).

The genics are more bold from what I understand. and after having some epic eaters (P. nigricolor being one), I realize just how much I like this aspect. If I had it to do over again, I would choose the genic without hesitation....and I do love my chromatus, even though it may not sound like it...lol, I'm glad I have it, I just wish I would have gotten the genic first.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. geniculata are an awesome species. Gets large, comes with an attitude, easy to keep and a great display spider. 'nuff said!

Downside? Their urticating bristles range among the more irritating ones...

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Same as Cold Blood and Storm76! You are making a great choice! (next question is: ... is it possible you might be a little... addicted... like some of us are...???!!!)

My sister was looking for a new T for christmas and decided to take an A geniculata. I'm taking care of her in the meantime. And I have to say it's a great great spider! The way she literally JUMPS on her preys is stunning!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Giant white knee or brazilain red and white ?
Which one should I go for ?
Geniculata is a 'must-have' for the average collection. Chromatus is similar but more colorful. Both are hardy, eating machines. My biggest genic is 8", chromatus 7". Both have hundreds of tiny slings in a sac, so you can afford to get both. I'd also recommend getting several of each at a time, to improve your odds of getting a female.

For future reference, scientific names please, there's a few South Americans than are black, white, and red, and common names are far from standardized.

GrimGrizzly

Arachnosquire
I am addicted lol. Not a problem poec. I was watching some videos I like A. Geniculata better. I've actually been getting lucky. Out of the seven I have. Don't know what one is cause it's too small, but one is a male, and the other five seem to be female