Senile tarantula?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a very old MM Rosie (been 5+ yrs since his final molt into maturity). I fear he has become senile. He attacks everything - even things that are not there - or things I cannot see. He's stopped eating in the past few weeks and he's very disheveled. He was always very sweet, I don't know if tarantulas can suffer dementia in old age like humans, but he seems to be acting like it. Any advice or info?

---------- Post added 10-13-2014 at 12:39 PM ----------

Also, he is not curling and is still very active, obviously. That's why I think he may be losing it in the head before the body, if that analogy makes sense.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
5 years seems like an awfully long time to live after MM ultimate molt. I've heard of 3.5 years in the more extreme cases. Just asking.....you sure 100% he is a male?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm super sure! He just won't kick off lol! It's been actually almost five years, not over five. But he's got hooks and everything, and he hasn't molted again since his ultimate.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Wow! You should check the record books...lol. Maybe in this case he is going senile? Like one person said on here before......I don't think there are any tarantula neuroscientists out there that could tell us. Sounds like some crazy behavior though. I'm very curious to know what is going on and I hope some more experienced keepers chime in.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Me too! I'm very curious... He's got these crazy bursts of energy so I know he's not dying, at least not right now, but the eating and drinking is off and the attacks are bizarre... Plus he's losing hair and his abdomen is shriveling... Any help is appreciated! Thx all

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Me too! I'm very curious... He's got these crazy bursts of energy so I know he's not dying, at least not right now, but the eating and drinking is off and the attacks are bizarre... Plus he's losing hair and his abdomen is shriveling... Any help is appreciated! Thx all
If his abdomen is shriveling then a day or two in an ICU might be in order just to make sure he's hydrated.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Abdomen shriveling makes it sound like he is on his way out..

Ziolizard

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, all T's must die some day. This sounds exactly like what happened to my 7.5-year-old Grammostola pulchripes before he died. (And yes, I'm sure he was that old, because it had been four years since his ultimate molt, which revealed hooks.) He stopped eating for months when previously he was on a very regular feeding schedule. His bald spot grew while his abdomen shriveled. He moved more slowly over time, with tiny spurts of erratic movements. Then, one day, he just curled up all of his legs and stopped moving. But overall he was a happy spider who lived a long life. You could get a baby spider to help you cope with the loss.

gobey

Arachnoknight
You could get a baby spider to help you cope with the loss.
I'm going to just start recommending this to people for everything they complain about. Dead pets, wrecked cars, breakups, grandmas passing, lost elections, college rejection letters, getting fired, etc...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If his abdomen is shriveling then a day or two in an ICU might be in order just to make sure he's hydrated.
Let me be more clear, it's not shriveling, it's shrinking. Still ab the size and shape of a small grape

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
I'm going to just start recommending this to people for everything they complain about. Dead pets, wrecked cars, breakups, grandmas passing, lost elections, college rejection letters, getting fired, etc...
Hey, last year when me and my husband split I bought 5 slings, this year I'm finally signing disolusion papers and I bought 10 new ones. Baby spiders are the answer to all life's problems.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Hey, last year when me and my husband split I bought 5 slings, this year I'm finally signing disolusion papers and I bought 10 new ones. Baby spiders are the answer to all life's problems.
The search for a signature has ended

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Thot so, however the high energy says otherwise - don't most Ts get lethargic before death?
Sounds just like my Mum, who suffered from dementia. She got bad tempered towards the end and would hit people with her walking stick.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. Yeah my grandmas boyfriend has Alzheimer's and just got put in a home... But he had me crackin up sometimes!

--J.Haas

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Well I mean there really isn't much to say, if he dies we will all know whats its from lets put it that way