6 new additions. I think I may be crazy.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I've gone off the deep end I think lol. These little critters are just so awesome.
I've just put in an order for 6 more spiders and they will be arriving tomorrow. I'm very excited!

I've ordered

2 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings (GBB's)
2 Brachypelma boehmei slings
2 hapalopus-sp-Colombia/large slings

squeeeeeeee.. ;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Until I recently got some, I didn't know that Hapalopus were so wired and fast. Keep that in mind whenever you open their cages.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Until I recently got some, I didn't know that Hapalopus were so wired and fast. Keep that in mind whenever you open their cages.
I will, thank you Poec. I've kept a wolf spider, so have a bit of an idea but that's really just it, an idea. I'm going to take it a step at a time, expect the unexpected and just keep calm no matter what.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
You picked three awesome species! I have all three too. You're going to love the GBBs.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
You picked three awesome species! I have all three too. You're going to love the GBBs.
I saw a picture of one of the GBBs about 5 years ago and fell in love. I have always loved tarantulas. My Aunt had a Rosie when I was a kid and it fascinated me, unfortunately my mother has severe phobias of snakes, and to a slightly lesser degree, spiders so was unable to get one. Then when my brother in law was unable to care for a Rosie he had about 5 years go I took it and cared for it till its death about a year later. When I was looking up info on how to care for it properly, that's when I tripped across the GBB pic and, as I said, fell in love. I didn't get another spider until about 3 months ago when I was given a porteri sling. My interest has officially blossomed into full on addiction lol.

Anyway, long story short, getting the GBB's is like the kid getting the ice cream cone he's been waiting for on visitation day when daddy comes to pick him up. :)

I just hope I can keep all my babies alive. After I recieve my shipment tomorrow I will have 9 spiderlings at 1 inch or under and I'm a little nervous about that to be honest. I take my responsibility to my 8 legged "children" very seriously. Deaths of any of the animals I've ever kept or keep hit me hard. I always seem to take it personally.

Wish me luck! lol

gobey

Arachnoknight
I saw a picture of one of the GBBs about 5 years ago and fell in love. I have always loved tarantulas. My Aunt had a Rosie when I was a kid and it fascinated me, unfortunately my mother has severe phobias of snakes, and to a slightly lesser degree, spiders so was unable to get one. Then when my brother in law was unable to care for a Rosie he had about 5 years go I took it and cared for it till its death about a year later. When I was looking up info on how to care for it properly, that's when I tripped across the GBB pic and, as I said, fell in love. I didn't get another spider until about 3 months ago when I was given a porteri sling. My interest has officially blossomed into full on addiction lol.

Anyway, long story short, getting the GBB's is like the kid getting the ice cream cone he's been waiting for on visitation day when daddy comes to pick him up. :)

I just hope I can keep all my babies alive. After I recieve my shipment tomorrow I will have 9 spiderlings at 1 inch or under and I'm a little nervous about that to be honest. I take my responsibility to my 8 legged "children" very seriously. Deaths of any of the animals I've ever kept or keep hit me hard. I always seem to take it personally.

Wish me luck! lol
Can you handle giving them 9 little crickets 1-3 times a week? Maybe drop some water in when you do? Don't be nervous. Slings are easy. Tarantulas are easy. They are pretty darn hardy I've discovered. Slings won't die if left alone for days. They just do their spider thing. I wonder just how long some of them must grow in the wild without such a rigid feeding schedule like we give them. I worried so many times that my little H. mac sling "togo" had died. He would've rathered I never checked on him at all I gather than worry as much as I did and poke around his home when I did way back when. I was so stupid.

It's hard watching my first digger sling. A little B. albo dug all the way to the bottom of the deli cup and was in pre molt for forever. Now he's still down there and won't come out to eat or anything. Didn't get any bigger either!!!!

Slings are fun.... But also kind of frustrating lol. Some I like way more than others. OBT slings are demon spawn. Moreso than adults. At least the 2 I have.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Can you handle giving them 9 little crickets 1-3 times a week? Maybe drop some water in when you do? Don't be nervous. Slings are easy. Tarantulas are easy. They are pretty darn hardy I've discovered. Slings won't die if left alone for days. They just do their spider thing. I wonder just how long some of them must grow in the wild without such a rigid feeding schedule like we give them. I worried so many times that my little H. mac sling "togo" had died. He would've rathered I never checked on him at all I gather than worry as much as I did and poke around his home when I did way back when. I was so stupid.

It's hard watching my first digger sling. A little B. albo dug all the way to the bottom of the deli cup and was in pre molt for forever. Now he's still down there and won't come out to eat or anything. Didn't get any bigger either!!!!

Slings are fun.... But also kind of frustrating lol. Some I like way more than others. OBT slings are demon spawn. Moreso than adults. At least the 2 I have.
I've got three LP slings, about .5 - .75 inches. I've had them for just over a week, and I have been unsuccessful feeding them. I've tried tiny little dubia's, cut in half, I've tried mealworm pieces, I've tried itty bitty crickets... they just won't eat which is weird in my oppinion since LP's are supposedly voracious, even as babies. gah... LOL

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I've got three LP slings, about .5 - .75 inches. I've had them for just over a week, and I have been unsuccessful feeding them. I've tried tiny little dubia's, cut in half, I've tried mealworm pieces, I've tried itty bitty crickets... they just won't eat which is weird in my oppinion since LP's are supposedly voracious, even as babies. gah... LOL
I also have 3 LP sliings of about that size. Had 'em for 2 months and they've just moulted for the 2nd time. If your's aren't hungry, I'd say the odds are good they'll moult soon.

I've had luck feeding mine cricket 'drumsticks' from larger crickets, half crickets (the abdomen), some maimed smaller (1/4 inch) crickets and, on a couple occasions, a housefly.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I also have 3 LP sliings of about that size. Had 'em for 2 months and they've just moulted for the 2nd time. If your's aren't hungry, I'd say the odds are good they'll moult soon.

I've had luck feeding mine cricket 'drumsticks' from larger crickets, half crickets (the abdomen), some maimed smaller (1/4 inch) crickets and, on a couple occasions, a housefly.
well there's no shortage of houseflies here for some reason, there's dozens of them in every room. very annoying and we can't find the source lol. I'm hesitant though to feed my spiders "wild" food items. I'm paranoid about parasites.... :/

Akai

Arachnobaron
My new found fascination.....hapalopus-sp-Colombia/large. I never had any interest in any dwarf species and I just so happened to get 4 more of these delivered by FedEx 10 minutes ago. I love these little guys.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
My new found fascination.....hapalopus-sp-Colombia/large. I never had any interest in any dwarf species and I just so happened to get 4 more of these delivered by FedEx 10 minutes ago. I love these little guys.
ive been thinking of getting one of these guys!!:) lol I actually just posted about it! how are they as far as temperament?

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon

Wish me luck! lol
You'll do just fine, rattie. I, too, have a GBB, just over an inch, and talk about attitude! I get a threat display every time I open Its container. I think a mistake that a lot of new keepers make (myself included), is that we tend to overthink things and end up killing the slings with too much kindness.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
GBBs are great. :D You'll have a lot of fun with them - when I got Baptisia (my GBB), she spent the first month I had her on my living-room table where I could watch her all the time. The GBB was considerably more entertaining than whatever was on TV.

They can definitely be speed demons though. Be prepared for escape attempts, especially if you're silly like me and permit your GBBs to build webs near the top of their enclosures. More experienced keepers will suggest not letting this happen; if you break up the webs often enough sooner or later they're supposed to get the hint and start webbing closer to the bottom. Personally, I've broken up Baptisia's webs every time I go to feed or refill her water dish and she still hasn't gotten the memo.

Drache

Arachnosquire
Congrats! I am so struggling with envy right now. I was going to an expo this weekend, but something happened, and I can't go.