A sort of disappointment and a new found interest.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I got some P. metallicas a while back but are not like I was hoping. They are the calmest things but I wanted some defensive spiders. I had gotten an E. murinus that is absolutely stunning but is never out. Oh well. But now I have found interest in Brachypelmas that I never had. I also noticed that I like a lot more NW terrestrials. I will always love my arboreals but I am going to get more familiar with the NW terrestrials. Anyone else have this happen?

gobey

Arachnoknight
I got some P. metallicas a while back but are not like I was hoping. They are the calmest things but I wanted some defensive spiders. I had gotten an E. murinus that is absolutely stunning but is never out. Oh well. But now I have found interest in Brachypelmas that I never had. I also noticed that I like a lot more NW terrestrials. I will always love my arboreals but I am going to get more familiar with the NW terrestrials. Anyone else have this happen?
Want slme defensive spiders? Get the BIG NW Terrestrials. If not defensive they'll at least just mistake you for food like my L.p.
My plain old G, porteri is more aggressive than the female OBT. I hear A. genics are pretty bitey too. And pretty.

See I want calm metallicas. That sounds awesome.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...I am going to get more familiar with the NW terrestrials.
If you insist on this mission...might I suggest buying stocks in Benadryl before your endeavor? Might make back some of your investment. lol

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, if you really need a defensive arboreal T, then by yuorselt a stromatopelma calceatum, or any lampropelma, they are all out pretty often in the right setup. Oh, and they can give you some defensive postures if that is what you seek;-)

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I got some P. metallicas a while back but are not like I was hoping. They are the calmest things but I wanted some defensive spiders. I had gotten an E. murinus that is absolutely stunning but is never out. Oh well. But now I have found interest in Brachypelmas that I never had. I also noticed that I like a lot more NW terrestrials.

What's you experience level with tarantulas?

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I got into T's in the usual way: Got a few calm NW terrestrials first, and after a couple of years, started my OW collection. Just about any T can be defensive though. I get a threat display from my GBB every time I open its enclosure. :)

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
then by yuorselt a stromatopelma calceatum, og any lampropelma, they are all out pretty often in the right setup.
+1 for Stromatopelma calceatum. The younger of my 2 is the best. Hunts her pray. Always out of her hide, mostly at night, super fast and also defensive.

Why do you want a defensive T? What exactly do you mean by defensive? A good defence could be, "run like hell until I get home-dive in through the window and hope like hell that giant monster thing didnt see me"?!

xkris

Arachnosquire
so if i understand correctly you want a more visible spunky terrestrial? with minor/occasional attitude outbursts?
large NW terrestrials are a good fit. like a lasiadora parahibana or a. genic or nhandu. or GBB is not strictly terrestrial, more semi-arboreal but its big, colorful, can be defensive and visible.

if you want more and better quality attitude outbursts look into african terrestrials. like a OBT, or ceratogyrus or pterinochilus or m. balfuri. dont give them too much substrate and they'll web more and be visible,
give them too much substrate and they will become a hole and you'll never see them.

absolutely best quality attitude outbursts come from.... 1% g. roseas who are plain evil. they are very hard to get. your best bet of getting one of these is if you want a docile rosie:)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
If you want feisty plus Brachypelma, try boehmei. My juvie male was quite the little snot and while I sent him on his way months ago, I still have a sling and it just developed the same attitude after it's most recent molt. In my opinion they're not as attractive as the other Brachys (/ducks) but the attitude I've seen is endearing. Or as others have said, the big NW terrestrials--my favorite of the bunch being A.geniculata and P.cancerides, which get 'tude very early on.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
or GBB is not strictly terrestrial, more semi-arboreal but its big, colorful, can be defensive and visible.
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is not really "semi-arboreal". They don't live up in trees and belong in a terrestrial enclosure.

xkris

Arachnosquire
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is not really "semi-arboreal". They don't live up in trees and belong in a terrestrial enclosure.

not in the trees, no. they are semi-arboreal, and will make use of the hight if given the opportunity. in the wild they live in twiggy bushes on scrubland/sand dunes.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
What's you experience level with tarantulas?
Oh Poec we have gone through this time and time again. S. calceatum is not on my mind even a little. Lampropelmas exist but are not on my top 10 list.

---------- Post added 10-14-2014 at 07:04 AM ----------

I don't find GBBs appealing at all. It probably stems from my pure hate of the Denver Broncos.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
not in the trees, no. they are semi-arboreal, and will make use of the hight if given the opportunity. in the wild they live in twiggy bushes on scrubland/sand dunes.
No, they aren't. "Arboreal" means living in trees; they do not. They live on the ground, often in shallow burrows near the bases of shrubs and cacti.

Watch the following video of Rick West interacting with them in their native habitat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yg6xEwo8I

---------- Post added 10-14-2014 at 09:26 AM ----------

There's a word for that: fossorial, which is what we call them, not semi-arboreal.
Fossorial species are burrowing species.

xkris

Arachnosquire
There's a word for that: fossorial, which is what we call them, not semi-arboreal.
arent fossorial burrowing?

---------- Post added 10-14-2014 at 04:00 PM ----------

No, they aren't. "Arboreal" means living in trees; they do not. They live on the ground, often in shallow burrows near the bases of shrubs and cacti.

Watch the following video of Rick West interacting with them in their native habitat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yg6xEwo8I

---------- Post added 10-14-2014 at 09:26 AM ----------

Fossorial species are burrowing species.
i said semi arboreal

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i said semi arboreal
I know what you said. I'm saying it still isn't correct, no matter how matter times you want to keep typing it. It "doesn't
partially live in trees", which is what semi-arboreal means.

xkris

Arachnosquire
I know what you said. I'm saying it still isn't correct, no matter how matter times you want to keep typing it. It "doesn't
partially live in trees", which is what semi-arboreal means.
you keep bringing up trees, i said shrubs and bushes. and yes it does, partially live above ground. that is what semi-arboreal means.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you keep bringing up trees, i said shrubs and bushes. and yes it does, partially live above ground. that is what semi-arboreal means.
Apparently I have to cite the definition of the word:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semiarboreal

": often inhabiting and frequenting trees but not completely arboreal"

It doesn't "inhabit or frequent trees" part-time or any time. It doesn't live up in bushes and shrubs. I'm guessing you didn't bother watching the video, either.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
If you want feisty plus Brachypelma, try boehmei. My juvie male was quite the little snot and while I sent him on his way months ago, I still have a sling and it just developed the same attitude after it's most recent molt. In my opinion they're not as attractive as the other Brachys (/ducks) but the attitude I've seen is endearing. Or as others have said, the big NW terrestrials--my favorite of the bunch being A.geniculata and P.cancerides, which get 'tude very early on.
I thought boehmei wasn't a "feisty" T?? I heard they were pretty docile actually..