Heating tips for large collection

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Everyone

Just looking for some advice for heating a large collection. I have a big collection currently but plan to extend this further over the coming months. Currently I am using individual red bulbs for each tank. These bulbs are attached to individual in-line dimmers so the bulb can be dimmed down or turned up thus affecting the temperature. This method works great for me and had planned to use the same in my new setups. My concern is obviously the electricity bill because of the number of bulbs I will have on. Does anyone have any tips of other methods of heating for a large selection of tanks? I have always had concerns about heat mats and have stayed clear of them. Mainly because of being unable to adjust temeprature.

Any tips would be appreciated.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Everyone

Just looking for some advice for heating a large collection. I have a big collection currently but plan to extend this further over the coming months. Currently I am using individual red bulbs for each tank. These bulbs are attached to individual in-line dimmers so the bulb can be dimmed down or turned up thus affecting the temperature. This method works great for me and had planned to use the same in my new setups. My concern is obviously the electricity bill because of the number of bulbs I will have on. Does anyone have any tips of other methods of heating for a large selection of tanks? I have always had concerns about heat mats and have stayed clear of them. Mainly because of being unable to adjust temeprature.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Depending on the size of your collection, you could use heat tape connected to a quality thermostat, however, all the tape will run at roughly the same temp... I've tried heat tape on dimmers with varying results. Never have had an issue with it being hooked up to a Helix.

Cheers,

Rob

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depending on the size of your collection, you could use heat tape connected to a quality thermostat, however, all the tape will run at roughly the same temp... I've tried heat tape on dimmers with varying results. Never have had an issue with it being hooked up to a Helix.

Cheers,

Rob
Thanks Rob. Heat tape is definitely an option.

Thanks for the reply.

David.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
David,

I use the Ultratherm heat pads from Bean Farm, they are shipped from the UK and have a little controller within the unit that doesn't let them exceed either 15 or 20 degrees above room temp. I have these sealed on the walls in my scorpion rack/shelf areas, they are running without a thermostat, I just back up my desert cages to the tape/pads and leave my non-deserts in front where its only around 80.

Also you can buy heat cable/rope (my LPS sells them) from your local reptile store, I haven't messed with this type of heating, but it is supposedly pretty simple and safe to operate.

Cheers,

Rob

David VB

Arachnosquire
My T's are in a separate room, together with the snakes, so the temp in that room is already sufficient for most T's and for some species i still use individual heat pads on their enclosure.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My T's are in a separate room, together with the snakes, so the temp in that room is already sufficient for most T's and for some species i still use individual heat pads on their enclosure.
Same for with me over here but I have some trouble with this in Winter just for a few months. I like the sound of some of the products mentioned here, I haven't tried them out. There is a temp gradient when using heat mats, been working OK over here. I've seen inverts, esp. scorpions, park their bods next to the heated glass while other areas in the terrs are cooler.

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
David,

I use the Ultratherm heat pads from Bean Farm, they are shipped from the UK and have a little controller within the unit that doesn't let them exceed either 15 or 20 degrees above room temp. I have these sealed on the walls in my scorpion rack/shelf areas, they are running without a thermostat, I just back up my desert cages to the tape/pads and leave my non-deserts in front where its only around 80.

Also you can buy heat cable/rope (my LPS sells them) from your local reptile store, I haven't messed with this type of heating, but it is supposedly pretty simple and safe to operate.

Cheers,

Rob
Hi Rob,

That sounds like a great idea. So you can push the tanks towards or away from the mat which in turn adjusts the temp. Just a quick question if you don't mind. I have my tanks in a cabanet. The walls of the cabinet are made of wood. Is it safe to have heat mats attached to wood? or would it burn?

Thanks again Rob.

---------- Post added 10-20-2014 at 10:49 AM ----------

Thanks everyone for all your replies. It is all really good advice.

Much appreciated.

David
BelfastScorpion

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Rob,

That sounds like a great idea. So you can push the tanks towards or away from the mat which in turn adjusts the temp. Just a quick question if you don't mind. I have my tanks in a cabanet. The walls of the cabinet are made of wood. Is it safe to have heat mats attached to wood? or would it burn?

Thanks again Rob.

---------- Post added 10-20-2014 at 10:49 AM ----------

Thanks everyone for all your replies. It is all really good advice.

Much appreciated.

David
BelfastScorpion
David,

I have mine aluminum taped directly to my painted drywall... Haven't had any issues yet!

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. - Like the others, my entire room is heated to 80-82 degrees, so I only have to heat limited cages.