Decided to try ordering online for the first time, probably won't do it again. Help

auskie

Arachnosquire
Well, I've been trying not to order tarantulas online because I was worried about DOA's. I ordered a B emilia, A geniculata, and a B vagans from jamie's tarantulas. The emilia and geniculata seem fine for now, but the vagans was in a pretty bad death curl when I opened the damp paper towel. I put it in an "ICU" but I'm not sure what else to do. Do any of you have stories about tarantulas that appeared dead, but came back to life at some point? what are my chances?
Its actually pretty upsetting after how much I spent. The cute tiny spiderling is the A geniculata, and the one in death curl is the B vagans.
tiny.jpg
gfdgdf.jpg

Last edited:

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I would get I touch with Jamie right away and send her that photo. I had a DOA from her once and she was excellent about sending a replacement. DOAs are not common but they do happen from time to time.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I understand it's a bit off-putting when this happens, but you're more likely to receive a healthy (and correctly identified) tarantula through online dealers vs buying from a pet store or an expo. Half of those people don't know what the hell they're selling let alone how to care for it.

CBickert

Arachnopeon
Definitely email Jamie back. I received two DOAs and she replaced them and didn't charge shipping for the second time.
Excellent customer service.

BTW I have been eyeing the two you purchased. Think I am going to wait for Black Friday sales. Lol

auskie

Arachnosquire
I felt bad, but I just sent an e-mail. I'm not mad or anything, just a little disappointed. Why me? lol
I'm still trying to keep it alive if there's even any life left in the poor thing. How wet should the ICU be?

cold blood

Staff member
Definitely don't be discouraged, t's ship very well and your situation is the exception to the general rule. I have never ordered from big online dealers, but I frequently buy from breeders advertising in the classifieds here at AB. I'm up in WI, I have received t's from So. Cal, Kansas, Florida, and Alabama (among others), about half were with 2-3 day shipping, and I have yet to have a dead spider, actually none have even been in distress and every one was in great shape. Even a few where the packing could have been better, but most were packed exceptionally well and every one was obviously well cared for.

Jamie's reputation is excellent, I am sure she will be just as upset about the loss as you are.

Don't be discouraged, its safe and really opens up the number of species available to you as well as being able to find the spider you want for the best price possible (and the best shipping prices, too).

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Don't flip out too soon. I had 20 B. Vagans arrive from JR, and about 4 of them were in death curls, I believe this was just a defense mechanism, as all of them were alive. One of them I even flipped over onto its back and it stayed perfectly stiff, yet the next morning had made a burrow.

auskie

Arachnosquire
I can only hope this is what's going to happen, fingers crossed!

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mail order is really the only reliable way to get your hands on the really good stuff...the rare species that pet stores don't usually have. Not only that, but buying from other sellers here on AB supports the hobby and enables you to develop relationships with other keepers.

Don't let one bad experience poison the well. At least give the seller a chance to make it right.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I've ordered most of my 45+ Ts, slings through adults, online either from dealers or hobbyists. I only had one DOA and the dealer made it right.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I've had 6 total tarantula shipping transactions with nothing but healthy Ts. Involving 15 different tarantulas. As everyone else has mentioned they've clearly done more. I was apprehensive at first too. But it's the best and most reliable way to get the Ts you want. I've seen 2 different pet shop Ts at high prices be MMs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I felt bad, but I just sent an e-mail. I'm not mad or anything, just a little disappointed. Why me?
I get almost all of my spiders online. A few losses happen here and there, and reputable people stand behind their animals/packing, and either replace or give credits. If you DON'T buy online, you aren't going to have many spiders, or much selection. This is an online hobby.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get almost all of my spiders online. A few losses happen here and there, and reputable people stand behind their animals/packing, and either replace or give credits. If you DON'T buy online, you aren't going to have many spiders, or much selection. This is an online hobby.
Exactly, if you dont purchase online it's going to severely limit the hobby for you. You just got unlucky on your first online purchase, all sorts of things happen during packaging, boxes get overturned or thrown, sometimes the T just cant take it. I've never had DOA before, it's only something that happens now and again so dont be discouraged =)

auskie

Arachnosquire
auskie
How is it going with the little one?
I bought a flightless fruit fly colony for it. I don't think its settled in enough yet to be interested in food. I might throw in a small cricket leg and see if it scavenges.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Send her email, Call I had no issues with Ts I bought from her. :biggrin:
are u sure B vagans are dead or just in curl?did you house them properly yet see if they recover???

Last edited: