Should i

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
There is this nice plump linebacker of a female G. Rosea (or whatever it is called these days) at this
Small town local pet store that i am thinking about looking into, when i go back to buy some dubias for my slings. So, should i buy the tarantula as a seven day early burthday present to myself or should i
Wait and order from a online dealer?

cold blood

Staff member
There is this nice plump linebacker of a female G. Rosea (or whatever it is called these days) at this
Small town local pet store that i am thinking about looking into, when i go back to buy some dubias for my slings. So, should i buy the tarantula as a seven day early burthday present to myself or should i
Wait and order from a online dealer?
Depends....How much is it? If its $50, don't...if its under $20, its a decent deal, get it.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Cant remember the price, but i do believe it is captive bred.
Depends on the size and price of what they have. A G. Rosea is a very common T and shouldnt be very pricy! I got my G. Rosea at 4" with a 10 gallon tank, cocofiber substrate, a log hide, a water dish and a few plastic plant décor. all for $40. which is an amazing deal! if all else fails just go check out craigslist and search for tarantulas in your local area, your bound to find a G. Rosea on there for a good price.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
The guy that assists the store owner is a collector, but i dont think some of the things they use in their setups are necessary.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
The guy that assists the store owner is a collector, but i dont think some of the things they use in their setups are necessary.
yeah a lot of times there tends to be unnecessary things in the enclosure. all you really need for a G. Rosea is some good substrate, a waterdish with absolutely NO sponge in it, any type of hide for them to burrow in! all that and you have a very happy T:)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
They actually do good with tarantulas and their housing. No sponges, heat mats or anything, but the owner recommends a light
for better viewing, which the tarantulas are not a fan of.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
They actually do good with tarantulas and their housing. No sponges, heat mats or anything, but the owner recommends a light
for better viewing, which the tarantulas are not a fan of.
yeah a lot of pet stores tend to have some sort of light above the tarantulas enclosures, they arnt a fan of it, but its not necessarily going to kill them. as long as the watts on the heat lamp isn't too high that is!

JahillHimself

Arachnopeon
I think price is everything. My pet store just called me back and wanted to sell me a B. Smithi sling for 60$. I had just got one online for 35$...as well as a 3in Juvie for 95$. Sometimes pet store prices are too much and just not worth it.

However...I did just find out that my local Petco can special order Ts. Picked up a A. Versicolor sling for 15$ (including coupons) ...not a bad deal.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I think price is everything. My pet store just called me back and wanted to sell me a B. Smithi sling for 60$. I had just got one online for 35$...as well as a 3in Juvie for 95$. Sometimes pet store prices are too much and just not worth it.

However...I did just find out that my local Petco can special order Ts. Picked up a A. Versicolor sling for 15$ (including coupons) ...not a bad deal.
B. smithi is probably going to be my next T I get! I just got a B. boehmei today, making it my fifth T so far:) If I get a B. smithi I atleast want it to be 2 or more inches though.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I would rather support one of the many breeders online than by a wild caught tarantula. In the meantime you can put a rock in an enclosure, it's the same as owning a G. rosea.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Owning two rosies (or porter, not sure) myself, I'd advise taking a pass on this and look for something that will, as Poec54 said, eat most of the year, and may not be as moody.

If you still wanted a Grammastola, I'd be spending my money on a G. pulchra. Large, hardy, great eaters, and usually pretty chill. Very active too, mine thinks she's a bulldozer.

A couple of Brachys to consider would be the B. smithi and B. albopilosum. Both get to be decent size, are good eaters, and are usually pretty docile. The albo may look kind of plain next to the smithi, but don't let that fool you. They are a sweetheart of a species. :)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am planning on buying a schroederi, sabulosum, behlei, or a moderatum. The pulchra is on my list along with the iheringi,
and grossa, plus i already have three B. Albopilosum slings that are crazy eaters (one in particular).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I am planning on buying a schroederi, sabulosum, behlei, or a moderatum. The pulchra is on my list along with the iheringi,
and grossa
All those are excellent choices, and all better than a w/c rosea.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
That would be very surprising if it were indeed CB.
^ This. I was assured that my G. porteri was captive bred when I purchased her from my favorite LPS about six months ago. Two weeks ago she dropped an egg sac. Captive bred, huh? Right.

The moral of the story is, unless you're prepared to get 200+ rosies for the price of one, I would suggest that you go to a more reputable source. (I'm of the opinion that "Reputable pet store" is an Oxymoron.) I'm well aware of the fact that what happened to me might be the exception rather than the norm, but the possibility of it happening is disturbing enough.

cold blood

Staff member
If I get a B. smithi I atleast want it to be 2 or more inches though.
Just some food for thought, I got a B. smithi in January at about an inch, maybe 1.25" for $19.99. By June it was a solid 3" and now its a good 3.5-3.75". I probably saved $90 by getting a sling as opposed to a 2" specimen and didn't really have to wait all that long for it to gain significant size. Once they get a little size, they can be very good eaters and their growth rates will increase with that if you let them eat and keep them warm. I really enjoyed watching the colors come in as it grew...its become a real favorite, something I didn't expect when I brought it home.;) I just bought it because it was available, I now regret not buying the other one they had as well.