Ridiculous growth spurt (with pics)

auskie

Arachnosquire
This G. Poteri was my very first tarantula. I've probably been collecting for over a year now. A few days ago I was walking by its enclosure and noticed it was bigger. Orders of magnitude bigger. Ever since then it's been laying in weird positions, and doing some unusual stuff. It's been acting like it's just completely exhausted. I didn't know a tarantula could grow this much in one molt. Below before/after.
IMAG1066.jpg
IMAG0793.jpg

Attachments

auskie

Arachnosquire
Well I uploaded more pictures than I meant to because I did this on my phone. The pink carapace ones are newer.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Which is the before and which is the after? 'Cause those legs in the first/third photo look like an MM.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh oops, missed that. In that case, I'm pretty sure your T is a MM. What I can see of the pedipalp looks male.

auskie

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I was expecting him to molt out male this time but no hooks or boxing gloves.
IMAG1034.jpg

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Those palps definitely look like a MM rosie. I've seen quite a few

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Whoa, that's an EXTREMELY tall enclosure for a G. porteri...or any terrestrial t.
If the subs dry and he's not much of a climber I don't see the problem although if this is a MM then it's searching for a lady would definitely make it climb so I would have to agree with you.

cold blood

Staff member
If the subs dry and he's not much of a climber I don't see the problem although if this is a MM then it's searching for a lady would definitely make it climb so I would have to agree with you.
Even ones you wouldn't consider climbers, still do from time to time. Mine almost never does, but then every once in a while she'll be on the glass or I will see evidence of tiny silk lines on the glass or the top.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The problem is him falling. Even a short fall can injure or kill one. But what do I know...

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Those palps definitely look like a MM rosie. I've seen quite a few
No they don't. Here's a comparison:
Female/Mature male

The tarantula isn't a mature male yet (if it even is a male to begin with).