Genera/Species You'd Like to See More Prevalently in the Hobby

Calloway

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, long time lurker here (~7ish years) who finally decided to make an account. Apologies if this topic has been discussed before but my question is as the thread title states. What are some genera and/or species of Theraphosids you'd like to see become more prevalent in the hobby? And if possible to answer, why do you think those genera/species are NOT more prevalent? Newly discovered, difficult to maintain/breed in captivity, etc.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I really want to see some Ami spp. in the hobby. I've been looking for ages to find one and have come up totally empty. Searching the classifieds turns up nothing.

Calloway

Arachnopeon
I really want to see some Ami spp. in the hobby. I've been looking for ages to find one and have come up totally empty. Searching the classifieds turns up nothing.
I agree, they're quite unique looking. Surprised they aren't more prevalent, curious as to why that's the case.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I agree. But hopefully the more it gets brought up, the more likely an importer will gather we have an interest and bring some down from Canada for us. They're very cute.

I would also say Pamphobeteus sp. aren't as prevalent in the hobby as you would think, given that people really like them. There's really only one go-to dealer for them at the moment (a few others do have one species now and then, or the odd MM for sale but that's not what I'd call go-to) and they aren't cheap, owing to what I gather is a combination of them still being relatively new (more or less so depending on species) and from what I hear, some are not so easy to get a sac from.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Brachypelma Klassi and schroederi I am currently on the hunt for. These are so hard to find. Augacephalus ezendami because I've always wanted one and sort of rare. Others....well I just want the price to go down like H. pulchripes. I'll take any Harpactira really... Dictator, Marksi. I also would love to have a Phormingochilus everetti. I could go on....but my list is long. lol Oh yeah one more...T. apophysis.

Last edited:

Calloway

Arachnopeon
I agree. But hopefully the more it gets brought up, the more likely an importer will gather we have an interest and bring some down from Canada for us. They're very cute.

I would also say Pamphobeteus sp. aren't as prevalent in the hobby as you would think, given that people really like them. There's really only one go-to dealer for them at the moment (a few others do have one species now and then, or the odd MM for sale but that's not what I'd call go-to) and they aren't cheap, owing to what I gather is a combination of them still being relatively new (more or less so depending on species) and from what I hear, some are not so easy to get a sac from.
Definitely agree, Pamphobeteus sp. are beyond beautiful. I believe there were a couple at the last expo I went to. Will be keeping a lookout hence forth.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Theraphosa species is the big one on my list (no pun intended). They're certainly available here in Canada, but at a premium that I can't afford if I'm buying slings in groups of 3 or 4. That being said, I understand why they're so expensive - between the fact that they're allegedly a challenge to raise and the fact that getting a viable sac from these guys can apparently be a massive headache, there's no justification to try breeding them if you're going to be letting the slings go for a song.

Calloway

Arachnopeon
Theraphosa species is the big one on my list (no pun intended). They're certainly available here in Canada, but at a premium that I can't afford if I'm buying slings in groups of 3 or 4. That being said, I understand why they're so expensive - between the fact that they're allegedly a challenge to raise and the fact that getting a viable sac from these guys can apparently be a massive headache, there's no justification to try breeding them if you're going to be letting the slings go for a song.
That's the one genera that I doubt if I'll ever own (althought we know how this always works out, with 4 slings of that genera in a couple months lol), not that I don't think they're amazing, just the care requirements are a bit off putting for me :/

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As for the Czech scene, anything that's not a bloody Brachypelma or G.porteri.

Special wish: Homeomma sp. blue

Calloway

Arachnopeon
As for the Czech scene, anything that's not a bloody Brachypelma or G.porteri.

Special wish: Homeomma sp. blue
Difficult to acquire a lot there? I'm not really familiar with European trade regulations and the availability of stock over there.

cold blood

Staff member
3 that immediately come to mind are Xenesthis, the aforementioned Pamphobeteus, and Thrixopelma. All very special and WAY too uncommon.

I'd like to see more Nhandu tripeppi and carapoensis and B. klassi as well...and lets not forget about pretty much all the Australian species...I'd like one of those "rattlesnake" t's.:wink:

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I would love to see more Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis, and Phormictopus species in the hobby. I collect Pampho's, and I plan to breed them to keep them more prevalent in the hobby.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'd like to see more Holothele species. The only species that are easy to get are sanguiniceps and incei. Other than that I'd love to see more Xenesthis and Harpactira in the hobby.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
I'm going to be that boring person and say I'd really like to see some of the NA native Aphonopelma being captive-bred. I understand the taxonomy's a mess, and I'm sure there are others I'd love to see more frequently, or to bring prices down, but those (and a few non-tarantula mygals) would be near the top of my list.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd love to see a more diverse selection of Eumenophorinae (big bodied baboons), like some new Hysterocrates or Phoneyusa. Of species already in the hobby, I think Monocentropus lambertoni is a particularly cool spider that deserves to be more popular. Unfortunately it's difficult to get a sac and new males are in somewhat short supply.

awiec

Arachnoprince
3 that immediately come to mind are Xenesthis, the aforementioned Pamphobeteus, and Thrixopelma. All very special and WAY too uncommon.

I'd like to see more Nhandu tripeppi and carapoensis and B. klassi as well...and lets not forget about pretty much all the Australian species...I'd like one of those "rattlesnake" t's.:wink:
+1. I think my thrix is about to molt and I'd really would like a boyfriend for her. They need to be the primer beginner tarantula, and it's a shame they are not. And you already know my thoughts on pamphs, never can have enough.

Another genus I'd like to see is Iridopelma and pseudhapalopus. Even though I've seen a decent number of them, taps need more love, I sometimes find a ton of them and then they disappear again.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I'd love to see a more diverse selection of Eumenophorinae (big bodied baboons), like some new Hysterocrates or Phoneyusa. Of species already in the hobby, I think Monocentropus lambertoni is a particularly cool spider that deserves to be more popular. Unfortunately it's difficult to get a sac and new males are in somewhat short supply.
I second Phoneyusa.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does anyone here remember that tarantula that showed up in a thread (I think about May of this year), where it had those red wing shaped markings on it's opisthosomoa? I think it was from Peru and a member here was trying to get an export/ breeding project started for them? That might be a little vague of a description...

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'm going to be that boring person and say I'd really like to see some of the NA native Aphonopelma being captive-bred. I understand the taxonomy's a mess, and I'm sure there are others I'd love to see more frequently, or to bring prices down, but those (and a few non-tarantula mygals) would be near the top of my list.
I agree on the CB Aphonos. And on the Aphonopelma front: moderatum, paloma, joshua. They're ridiculously hard to find for sale. Moderatum are so gorgeous and paloma/joshua are such feisty little things. I need a dwarf tarantula with a small dog complex darnit.