Hard decision- A. genic, B. smithi or more G. pulchras?

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I've got that familiar itch for a new tarantula that I know just about everyone can relate too. I have plenty but looking for something different, larger then 5 inches in length or diagonal leg span. The A. genic Is interesting because of it's size at maturity but not sure I will like the dull black and white coloring. The B. smith to my understanding will get 5-6" at maturity but the urticating hairs they tend to like to kick has me hesitant, just not sure if I want to deal with it bad or not. I already have 2 G. pulchra that I do want more of but not sure at this time, kind of blows the something different off the list. I don't want any more arboreals, prefer terrestrials that like to be busy doing something. I have a G. porteri MF that is digging a meteor type crater, an A. hentzi MF that is digging a burrow that she doesn't want to end in length anytime soon..lol. The G. pulchras have been quite entertaining too. To sum it up I want size plus lots of activity with little hiding or being skiddish. One of the above or is there another I am not thinking of? I have ruled out G. pulchripes.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You need a genic. Period.
Seconded. Everyone needs a living trashcan for crickets and other feeder insects rejected by your other eight-legged wards.

I must've misheard the OP because I swear I've heard him calling AG's coloring dull.

Oh, and did we mention they tend to be rather feisty for a NW, complete with tendency to leap at prey? Yes, leap.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
How about an Oligoxystre diamantinensis? They're terrestrial, great webbers, good feeders and very colourful.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Regarding color I was silently comparing to the G. pulchras jet black color. I should had explained, sorry about that. I may be wrong so just to clear this up for me is the A. genic as dark black as the G. pulchra?

So far the A. genic seems like a very interesting tarantula.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
A. genic, without a doubt. They can be notorious hair-kickers, but they make up for it with how entertaining they can be. Most of my specimens love to redecorate their enclosures, they can be feisty little devils, and A. genics in particular start showing their colors very early from my experience. Mine are already showing their leg stripes and some red coloration - one is still under an inch, the other just molted out to approximately 1 inch a few days ago.

And might I suggest a different Acanthoscurria species? Acanthoscurria ferina tend to get overlooked because they're not brilliantly colored like other members of the genus, but I enjoy my A. ferina very much. Mine re-decorates every night - seeing how the enclosure has been rearranged over the night is one of my favorite things about checking on my Ts. :D They can be a bit more on the timid side, but as long as you're quiet and don't shine any lights directly on them you'll have no problems observing them outside their burrow. Also, from my experience, they can grow like weeds. Mine's gone from 3/4" to nearly 2 inches in approximately 3 months, no power-feeding.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Although I don't own one personally, an A. genic might be the right one you're looking for.

Have you thought about an LP? They get to be huge (mine is closing in on 9 inches), and she is always out moving around. On the minus side, I wouldn't exactly call her 'skittish'. 'Grouchy' is a better adjective to use. :)

Zigana

Arachnosquire
The LP and the Acanthoscurria ferina both have severe urticating hairs that I don't really want to deal with yet. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Yes, but some are more irritating and severe then others. Thanks for the reply. :)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I've heard horror stories about A. genic hair as well, so you might want to avoid the genus entirely.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
(sigh) Is there anything else that gets large that doesn't have bad hairs? I have had a male A. hentzi tarantula kick hairs at me on occassion which the hairs weren't that bad so wasn't a big deal. Mild itching and the hairs were easy to remove it seems, the itchy feeling stopped immediately.

The one I ruled out, the G. pulchripes, is the only one that comes to mind that would be large with possibly milder hairs. I may decide to put it back on the list if there is nothing else.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The
(sigh) Is there anything else that gets large that doesn't have bad hairs? I have had a male A. hentzi tarantula kick hairs at me on occassion which the hairs weren't that bad so wasn't a big deal. Mild itching and the hairs were easy to remove it seems, the itchy feeling stopped immediately.

The one I ruled out, the G. pulchripes, is the only one that comes to mind that would be large with possibly milder hairs. I may decide to put it back on the list if there is nothing else.
Have you thought about Pamphobeteus genus some of those get pretty big and can match the best of them for appetite, only thing im not sure about is how mild/bad the hairs are

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The
Have you thought about Pamphobeteus genus some of those get pretty big and can match the best of them for appetite, only thing im not sure about is how mild/bad the hairs are
+1. Pamphos deserve a spot in most collections. Hard not to like them.

Last edited:

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
I just got a juvenile genic and she is quickly becoming one of my favourites. she is much much more active and entertaining than my juvenile B. smithi. She does kick a lot of hair but her constant redecorating far outweighs the hair nuisance. Her personality is comparable to my juvenile L. p female but the genic is a bit faster and more skittish. Her colors are far from being dull just because there is no orange. The black and white bands are very striking and I find her to be a very pretty spider. If you have to choose between a smithi and a genic, go with the genic. :)

cold blood

Staff member
reading glasses? :)

Lol poec, he mentioned Pamphobeteus, not Psalmopeous...hahaha Close...but you're way off:)

I agree that genic is anything but boring looking, I think they look quite spectacular actually.

As for worrying about the hairs, just keep your face out and don't mess with them or handle and you generally won't have issues with those hairs. I have yet to see my B. smithi flick any hairs, even when I am doing spot cleaning right next to it. Actually every one of my t's have full abdomens of hairs as I am quite hands off. The Pamphobeteus is quick and more inclined to scurry away than flick IME. I think the worry many have concerning the hairs is quite overrated with the majority of species.

CBickert

Arachnopeon
Lol poec, he mentioned Pamphobeteus, not Psalmopeous...hahaha Close...but you're way off:)
Lol I saw this and wanted to correct but figured he'd notice.

I agree that genic is anything but boring looking, I think they look quite spectacular actually.

As for worrying about the hairs, just keep your face out and don't mess with them or handle and you generally won't have issues with those hairs. I have yet to see my B. smithi flick any hairs, even when I am doing spot cleaning right next to it. Actually every one of my t's have full abdomens of hairs as I am quite hands off. The Pamphobeteus is quick and more inclined to scurry away than flick IME. I think the worry many have concerning the hairs is quite overrated with the majority of species.
Agreed. To the OP, if you take a "hands off" approach you shouldn't have to worry about hairs. With mine you have to really annoy to make them flick hair. I only see a problem when rehousing. As far as the original post, those three are quite different Ts. But if you are looking for a large pretty T I suggest the A. genic also, especially if you already have a G. pulchra. Nhandu might be one you consider. Real lookers, good size, good appetite, affordable and readily available.

At this moment Paul at pet center has Acanthoscurria slings on sale for $8 and $9.50. You could grab a couple at that price to ensure a female.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Psalmos don't have urticating hairs. Most in the genera are medium-sized at best; cambridgei is the largest. The OP also said he didn't want any more arboreals.
Like cold said reading glasses or tiredness is creeping in. Either way you almost made me choke on my coffee with laughter poec