my tarantula's cage has a lot of condensation?

19killer44

Arachnopeon
i bought my tarantula last Saturday she is my first tarantula my room gets very cold at night and sometimes during the day so i use a heat mat on the side of the tank around where her den is. i have noticed that there is a lot of condensation on the sides of the tank is that bad? also she only has come out twice since ive got her is that bad? need help asap thank you if you guys can help :)

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Thought so, no one over here in the Aus hobby calls it Selenocosmia Crassipes anymore mate, we all call it Phlogius Crassipes, Selenocosmia Crassipes was wrongly named back in 18-1900's and will be renamed shortly, send me a photo mate.

19killer44

Arachnopeon
ahh ok thanks man sorry im new to 10721474_783421261714113_631772765_n.jpg all this and i like to make sure all my pets are healthy so i came here as soon as i was verified :) thats her ill take a pic of the tank now

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Mate I can promise you that is not a crassipes, that is not even phlogius, that is either Selenocosmia or selenotypus, these are out in the desert/ rough scrub land, our phlogius come from northern Queensland, It's probably a S.stirlingi or S.Gemfields since you found it in a pet store but honestly who knows. All I'm going to ask you is 1) not to breed her and 2) if you sell her sell her as unidentified. Now as for the T, these are obligate burrowers which means they ONLY burrow so she is going to need a lot more dirt than that, aim for 8-10 inches of dirt and the humidity shouldn't be a problem at all.

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 07:24 AM ----------

Yeah on seconds thoughts thats a lot of condensation, when you pack it with more sub just make sure you squeeze the sub hard and pack it down, she wont use that strange den thing either since she is an obligate burrower.

Last edited:

19killer44

Arachnopeon
so i should be fine with the condensation? and nah im not really into breeding and i sure as hell woulndt sell her if i buy a pet or any sort of animal i look after them that's why i came here for information ill add more substrate for her thanks for the info man any other tips with keeps t's healthy?

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 07:00 AM ----------

thats the thing she has been using it i can take the den peice out and just pack substrate if that would be better? ive just been trying to leave her alone so i dont stress her out to much

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Well you have what we call in the Aus hobby an "arid species" the condensation should be fine bro, these guys live out in the desert BUT they live in 2 meter burrows and down in those burrows it's pretty humid :wink: I suck at Iding our arids I'm much more of a Phlogius guy BUT if you send me some GOOD close up shots of her I can send them to my mate who is an expert at arids and try and get you a good ID.

19killer44

Arachnopeon
alright ill try im new to this sort of stuff so its a bit nerve racking im going to try and feed her for the first time this week i tried the other day but she wouldn't take it think it was because of the stress of travel etc any tips on feeding if she stays burrowed ? or only comes out at night?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Arids are a pretty nervous type of tarantulas, they take a long time to settle in and generally need their own burrow, could take 2 months before she settles in and wants food.

19killer44

Arachnopeon
ahh ok so you reccommend i take out the burrow? and let her make her own? or would that stress her out to much? i have the heat mat on the side because i heard that under heat mat placement can harm them is that true at all? and thanks for all the help man im really new to this and with all my pets i like to make sure their healthy :)

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
What I recommend you do is take out the weird burrow thing, buy a lot more cocopeat bricks and add alot more inches of sub and then after you add much more substrate put her in the tank and keep her in the dark until she makes her own burrow, this could take 2 days-2 months but she WILL eventually make her own burrow, it's in her nature to make her own. Adding more substrate to the tank also lowers the risk of her falling when she climbs the side of the tank, when the substrate is that low if she climbed to the top of that tank and fell there is a good chance she could split her abdomen and die and also I would recommend never using a heat mat, we don't need it over here in Aus :wink:

19killer44

Arachnopeon
i only use it when it gets super cold im from sydney so its been super cold here lately ive been turning it off when it gets hot also what sort of hide do you recommend i use if she wants to use one? im trying to make sure everything is set by the end of this week so i dont over stress and kill her

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
i only use it when it gets super cold im from sydney so its been super cold here lately ive been turning it off when it gets hot also what sort of hide do you recommend i use if she wants to use one? im trying to make sure everything is set by the end of this week so i dont over stress and kill her
I recommend no hide, she will never use one for longer than a few months, I guarantee she will make her own burrow.

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 07:47 AM ----------

Wait you bought her in Sydney? I thought people in NSW weren't allowed to keep any native fauna?

19killer44

Arachnopeon
10743371_786838008039105_463613404_n.jpg ahh ok it gets super cold in my room so thats why i put it on there so it wasn't to cold ill go this weekend and buy the bricks and add about half the tank with substrate salso here where she is right now just took this photo :)

19killer44

Arachnopeon
nah we are allowed to have them you cant keep any other species of tarantula other then australian here

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Judging by the way the dirt is tossed up it looks like she already tried some sort of burrow but hit rock bottom, it's heading into summer thought so you should be fine mate, dw about stressing her. I can tell you really want to add a hide but I promise you she wont use it for long :p

---------- Post added 10-17-2014 at 07:58 AM ----------

When you take her out to make changes to the tank get some really good close up photos of her and send them to me and Ill get a good ID for you.