Exo Terra Explorarium - thoughts?

Spinster

Arachnosquire
I was given the smallest size of one of these: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/explorarium.php

Basically it's made of fine nylon mesh and has openings at the top and the bottom. There's a plastic cover for the bottom for substrates. I thought it might make a good enclosure for arboreals. I like the fact that it has a hook inside to hang plants etc. I also like that it can be hung from the ceiling - a bonus in a household with cats! I'm wondering if the nylon mesh would provide too much ventilation. I believe part of the outside of the enclosure could be covered in plastic if needed.

Anyway - has anyone ever used this type of enclosure for T's, or would it be unsuitable?

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Wouldn't a tarantula be able to chew out of that real quick?

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
I would be concerned about two things:

1.) Humidity - Unless you keep your spider room at the proper humidity, it would be very difficult to regulate humidity in this enclosure
2.) Snags - The claws seem like they would get snagged in the mesh and that could damage the spider.

I would go with a praying mantis if you want to give this a shot.

Spinster

Arachnosquire
Wouldn't a tarantula be able to chew out of that real quick?
The mesh seems pretty heavy duty, though I seem to remember reading somewhere that a T can can chew through steel screens? Here are a couple of close up pics:

If this enclosure is no good for a T, then maybe I'll just have to explore the option of getting a chameleon! (I've wanted one for years anyway.)

---------- Post added 10-18-2014 at 12:12 PM ----------

I would be concerned about two things:

1.) Humidity - Unless you keep your spider room at the proper humidity, it would be very difficult to regulate humidity in this enclosure
2.) Snags - The claws seem like they would get snagged in the mesh and that could damage the spider.

I would go with a praying mantis if you want to give this a shot.
I hadn't thought of snags, good point! For humidity my thought was to cover part of the outside with plastic, even plastic wrap. I also thought of keeping some plastic plants in there and misting them at least once per day.

A praying mantis is an interesting idea. I will have to do some research, as I've never seen them in "formal" captivity. (Informal = me keeping them temporarily in jars as a kid). I could also keep a small lizard, preferably an arboreal to take advantage of the cage height. Lights can be hung inside this cage as well.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
The mesh seems pretty heavy duty, though I seem to remember reading somewhere that a T can can chew through steel screens? Here are a couple of close up pics:

If this enclosure is no good for a T, then maybe I'll just have to explore the option of getting a chameleon! (I've wanted one for years anyway.)

---------- Post added 10-18-2014 at 12:12 PM ----------

I hadn't thought of snags, good point! For humidity my thought was to cover part of the outside with plastic, even plastic wrap. I also thought of keeping some plastic plants in there and misting them at least once per day.

A praying mantis is an interesting idea. I will have to do some research, as I've never seen them in "formal" captivity. (Informal = me keeping them temporarily in jars as a kid). I could also keep a small lizard, preferably an arboreal to take advantage of the cage height. Lights can be hung inside this cage as well.
Well keep me posted. I have some really small mantises in my collection now but may consider one of these in the event that I go with a larger species. Thanks.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
T's chew thru screen, even aluminum screen. They'd have no problem chewing a hole in that. Remember these animals can dig tunnels thru several feet of hard soils.