Questions about H. lividum coloring

GrnGoblin

Arachnopeon
Hey Everyone,

Hoping someone with experience raising H. lividum from slings can help me out... I've got what I believe to be (at least, sold to me as) two cobalt blue tarantulas approx 2.5". Each are fairly brownish in color (I can see very very faint color on them when the light hits them just right). I know that males are brown when they mature but am fairly certain these two aren't there yet. Is it typical for them to be more brown at this size? Picture attached for reference.

Thanks in advance!

20141018_225757.jpg

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Doesn't look like H lividum at all, sling, juvenile or otherwise. I'm going to hazard a guess and suggest one of the Chilobrachys species?

Lucy Lambaste

Arachnopeon
I agree, it looks nothing like my 2 H. Lividum slings (check out my album to see my 1.75" slings). They are gray-ish in color with striping.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A local reptile dealer I know got some w/c lividum last year, and in with them were several dark Chilobrachys, which I bought. Either a mix up at the exporter or with the importer/dealer. Something similar may have happened with yours. I'm you don't want your two spiders, PM me.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like chilobrachys, here's a pic of my juvie for comparison

Don't worry too much though, Chilobrachys is a fantastic genus, these things make more web than any species I've ever seen lol Care is similar to H.lividum, they're not considered a burrowing genus like haplopelma but they will do it as juvies

Chilobrachys Guangxiensis 3"

1.jpg

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Looks like chilobrachys, here's a pic of my juvie for comparison

Don't worry too much though, Chilobrachys is a fantastic genus, these things make more web than any species I've ever seen lol Care is similar to H.lividum, they're not considered a burrowing genus like haplopelma but they will do it as juvies

Chilobrachys Guangxiensis 3"

Are you able to get guangxiensis from the wild?

GrnGoblin

Arachnopeon
Appreciate all the feedback! The other one I have looks very similar to the one I posted a picture of. Next time it's out and about I'll snap a picture.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Appreciate all the feedback! The other one I have looks very similar to the one I posted a picture of. Next time it's out and about I'll snap a picture.
Yeah I'd be interested to see it too!

---------- Post added 10-20-2014 at 08:34 AM ----------

Are you able to get guangxiensis from the wild?
I believe so yes, however you need to go to Guangxi province in China as that's their native habitat. Something else I've always wanted to do is look for wild H.hainanum on Hainan island also