T. Introductions! :)

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone! I'm brand new to the hobby. After weeks of research/reading/video, went out to my local pet store in search of my first tarantula (or at least recon on what they had, it's a pretty nice store for all sorts of pets, but they also have a surprisingly large T assortment). I had a couple beginner varieties in mind, and worst case scenario I knew they still had some pumpkin patch's in stock right now for $25 (pretty good deal compared to the prices I've seen online for those guys).

Well, I got there and they had BOTH of the varieties I had my eye on. I couldn't decide!! So... I got two. :) I decided to go with slings, because I had done enough research on them that I felt comfortable with them, and I was getting pretty hardy species anyway. Plus, I wanted a younger one so that I could have it around for longer, you know? Anyways, I'm the proud new spider mommy of;

0.0.1 - Brachypelma Albopilosum - Curlyhair - looks like it's about 4-5 molts in, I'd say maybe 1.25" right now.
0.0.1 - Eupalastrus Campestratus - Pink Zebra Beauty - 2nd instar, just about .5" right now

Already eating pinhead crickets very well. So excited! :)

Curlyhair:
image.jpg
Cricket time! Sorry for the flipped image.
image (1).jpg
PZB (sorry for the flipped image):
image (2).jpg

gobey

Arachnoknight
Those are probably some of the best 2 choices you could've made. Let us know what one you get next week! :biggrin:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the hobby,
I agree you made some great first T choices
If that Eupalastrus Campestratus doesn't eat, don't freak out, it's in pre-molt

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby,
I agree you made some great first T choices
If that Eupalastrus Campestratus doesn't eat, don't freak out, it's in pre-molt
Thanks so much, guys!

They're both actually eating very well. I was a little surprised about the PZB; it has that really dark patch, but the rest of the abdomen is still light in color. Are those just the urticating hairs? They're both taking crickets as soon as I introduce them, so I don't think it's quite in pre molt yet. Not sure though.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks so much, guys!

They're both actually eating very well. I was a little surprised about the PZB; it has that really dark patch, but the rest of the abdomen is still light in color. Are those just the urticating hairs? They're both taking crickets as soon as I introduce them, so I don't think it's quite in pre molt yet. Not sure though.
The PBZ does look like it will molt soon but I don't think it's heavy pre-molt just yet. There are some spiders that will fast for some time while in pre-molt but I've had some juvies and slings eat up until the day they molted as their growth rate is so much faster. They all look to be well taken care of and that Brachy is a very handsome little sling. I would suggest waiting on the H.sp Columbia (Pumkin Patch) until you're more comfortable with your spiders. They act more like wolf spiders than tarantulas and like to bolt and are very bold; can't beat the coloration though.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Thanks so much, guys!

The dark patch is where its urticating hairs are, it will always be dark. The clue that says pre-molt is the shiny rump. The entire abdomen will get darker and it will molt over the next couple weeks.

Drache

Arachnosquire
Congrats - beautiful finds, and a good size too.
The e.campestratus is on my wish list, so it'll be nice to follow yours while I wait.

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
The dark patch is where its urticating hairs are, it will always be dark. The clue that says pre-molt is the shiny rump. The entire abdomen will get darker and it will molt over the next couple weeks.
Ah, got it! I looked at a few other pictures for comparison, I see it now. Thank you!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My campestratus went into full pet hole mode nearly immediately after I received it last month, within just a few days. I didn't even really get to judge whether it was in pre-moult or not. I thought I saw an exuvium at the bottom of the cup in the cave it constructed but have decided I was mistaken.
It does appear that it may have enlarged it's entry hole recently, so maybe it is emerging during the night. Prekilled food just sits there, so I still suspect pre-moult.

My a genic moulted yesterday.

And speaking of pre-moult, check out this B. smithi that came with the order I got in September. Abdomens don't get much darker than this.

Attachments

Last edited:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Yep that smithi is ready to molt too, hopefully you'll get some nice red coloring on the legs after this one

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
yeah, I am hoping it will show some colour. Currently the only slings I have that look like their adult forms are the A. Geniculata and the Hapalopus. But they ware large, nearly 2 inch specimens that came with their colouration already set in.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby, Angrybear. I forgot to say that in my first post.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My campestratus went into full pet hole mode nearly immediately after I received it last month, within just a few days. I didn't even really get to judge whether it was in pre-moult or not. I thought I saw an exuvium at the bottom of the cup in the cave it constructed but have decided I was mistaken.
It does appear that it may have enlarged it's entry hole recently, so maybe it is emerging during the night. Prekilled food just sits there, so I still suspect pre-moult.

My a genic moulted yesterday.

And speaking of pre-moult, check out this B. smithi that came with the order I got in September. Abdomens don't get much darker than this.
if i was home id def try n top that pic ;) my a. genic has such a shiny rump you can almost fix your hair in the reflection lol[joke ofcourse] nothings blacker then a black abd in super heavy premolt.. looks like shes hiding in the worlds largest blueberry XD

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My genic did not really go all that dark, I knew it was coming up, but I really thought the smithi or the pulchripes was going to beat the genic to the finish line.

My pick sheet was, in this order:

L. parahybana (I scored on that one)

B. Smithi

G. pulchripes

A. geniculata (moulted yesterday)

No clue in regard to the Hapalopus or the campestratus.

Also no clue on my MF G. porteri. She hasn't moulted in a few years and I forgot to make note of it. Three or four years ago, probably. An interesting coincidence concerning the rose-hair. I went to a 4th of July party one year and returned to find her moulted. Fast forward a couple years. I went to a 4th of July party at the same place. Returned to discover she had moulted. Obviously a patriot. She's atleast 11 years old, but I purchased her as an adult, so I have no idea of her actual age.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My genic did not really go all that dark, I knew it was coming up, but I really thought the smithi or the pulchripes was going to beat the genic to the finish line.

My pick sheet was, in this order:

L. parahybana (I scored on that one)

B. Smithi

G. pulchripes

A. geniculata (moulted yesterday)

No clue in regard to the Hapalopus or the campestratus.

Also no clue on my MF G. porteri. She hasn't moulted in a few years and I forgot to make note of it. Three or four years ago, probably. An interesting coincidence concerning the rose-hair. I went to a 4th of July party one year and returned to find her moulted. Fast forward a couple years. I went to a 4th of July party at the same place. Returned to discover she had moulted. Obviously a patriot. She's atleast 11 years old, but I purchased her as an adult, so I have no idea of her actual age.
realy mines first molt i didnt notice it. [kinda visable in my other post about buying a genic] but i thought was normal.. then her next molt she looked like she had a marble sheen o.0 like literally blueberry butt XD big black dark and glossy o.0

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby, Angrybear. :)

Great choices for first T's (and trust us, you WILL get more). I have 4 B. albos (all as freebies with orders), and while they aren't the prettiest looking specimens, they are very hardy & also very tolerant of a newbie's mistakes.

Good luck and don't be a stranger. :)