P.metallica female not eating

malvin

Arachnopeon
Hi All,

I have a P.metallica female (mature), who hasn't yet eaten since got to me 3-4 months ago.
guy who gave it to me said it's most likely gravid, he mated her in April (I got her mid-June)
Put her in enclosure, she had a big abdomen, hid herself pretty much all the time. Atfer not checking her for about 3 weeks (so not to bother with a sac if she had any) I just saw she is pretty dehydrated.changed the enclosure a bit so she is not that isolated from the water and saw her drinking, the abdomen which was now pretty small got back to a better shape. this was 2 weeks ago, but she is still not eating.tried holding a cricket "in front of her nose" for a while, tried a semi-impaled cricket and also normal ccricket, but they are still in the enclosure after days not willing to eat them. Think she is not in pre-moult, according to the guy she moulted half a year ago.
What could be the problem? (Have a P. regalis as well that is not eating for 4 months, not sure about moult time, but 4 months of not doing anything is still a loooot!! )
temp is around 23-24 C, humidity around 70%.
Took a picture, but not sure if it's doing any good :)

Any ideas why this might be? Too low temp? need bigger /smaller/dead/etc food? (they were given size 8 cricket which is about 1,5-2 cm, tried with bigger but they got skittish from those)
thanks,

pm1.jpg pr1.jpg

Scolopendras

Arachnopeon
I keep my poecies dry 70% seems to be too high. lightly spraying once a week should be more than enough

malvin

Arachnopeon
Seeing as your Regalis looks pretty dull, I'd say it's in premolt.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, first I was thinking the same, but premolt for 4 months now? Should I put it in some dark,warm place without disturbance to have it molt already?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dont go below 70% humidity, they need it. Better to make sure there is good ventilation. Wether she is gravid, premolt or just not hungry is difficult to say, She does look fine to me, so i would not worry. My guess is that she is going to molt soon. many times after mating they choose to do a quick molt, especcially if it is a young female, or if there is too much disturbance, and there has been disturbance when she has been sold to you.
Are you sure she is mated?
it seems a little strange to mate p metallica and then just sell her! it could be a salestrick!

Last edited:

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Dont go below 70% humidity, they need it. Better to make sure there is good ventilation. Wether she is gravid, premolt or just not hungry is difficult to say, She does look fine to me, so i would not worry. My guess is that she is going to molt soon. many times after mating they choose to do a quick molt, especcially if it is a young female, or if there i too much disturbance, and there has been disturbance when she has benn sold to you.
Are you sure she is mated?
it seems a little strange to mate p metallica and then just sell her! it could be a salestrick!
I would also be suspect of the fact she is gravid. Doesn't sound right to me.