Tarantula toys!

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Inspired by the story of that B. smithi that likes to roll her water dish around, I decided to get my adult rosehair a toy to see what she did with it.

I picked her up a pingpong ball and washed it really well to make sure it didn't have any contaminants, and then I just left it in her container. She didn't do too much with it at first, but I would catch it at different places, presumably because she was moving it around. Sometimes it would be in her hide, sometimes on top of it, sometimes in her water dish.

Right now she's really fiddling with it a lot - she has it in her water dish and she's rolling it over and over and over again, almost as if she's using it like a tarantula exercise machine! {D

It doesn't seem to be bothering her to have it around - in fact, she has been more active "playing" with her toy. Maybe this is the solution to the "pet rock" syndrome. :D

Greensleeves

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm....I wonder if there is a niche in the petstores for tarantula toys? :)

I really like your idea. I think that I will get some ping pong balls for my spiders some day.

Jon

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Funny

I wonder what my T. Blondis would do to the ping pong bals?

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is great.. Im going to have to try that!! That is also something that I would love to see pics of..

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got some ping pong balls too after reading Kelly's water dish thread. Unfortunately mine doesn't play with it. The cricket on the other hand has taken to using it as a toilet bowl. :(

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That would be cool seeing your tarantula playing with a ping pong ball

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice!!!

I haven't gotten around to getting some ping pong balls myself, I know a couple of mine will play with them as they are quite active already, namely my b. smithi!

Pixie

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My B. smithi is inspiration! She's growing up so fast... *tears of joy*

Be sure to post pics! :)

-Kelly

bonny

Arachnopeon
for my birthday a friend gave me a fake tarantula...but it looked real...to try and get my tarantula to molt....i don't really understand her thinking but oh well....anyways she put it in my rosie's cage after washing it.....my tarantula attacked it and was extreamly agitated...so i took it out right away....but then i read this thread and decided to try it....so i gave my rosie a pingpong ball last night . i dropped it on the oposite end of her tank from her.......and immediatly she ran accross her tank and pouncd on it! this is the most i've ever seen her move in almost a year....so i'm happy {D and later last night she accuallyt climbed up the side of her tank!!! and this mornigshe was spinning a molt mat.... thanks for this idea i hope she will molt tonight

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I thought I had heard EVERYTHING! {D How fun... um gotta go, need to get to Big 5 Sporting Goods!!

CM, any scientific comments on this? What do YOU think a T thinks when it sees a giant white round thing in it's enclosure?

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
{D You have GOT to get a pic or two of that! I might try it with my T. blondis and see what happens...(mmm...maybe I ought to get a tennis ball for them, come to think of it.)

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Someone put this up about a year ago.. I tried it with 4 adults, and of all of them, only my parahybana really took to messing with the thing. The curly hair would move it around, and the haplopelma wound up making it into part of it's burrow.

Bill

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think mine are holding out for a tiny gamecube.

kristin