Tarantula dying? Need help ASAP

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
My tarantula has been in this position all day. It is not an unusual position for him, but usually with a little poke he straightens out and becomes normal again, and eats, etc. This time he is barely moving, and when he does he goes back to the same position. I need help. Do I put him in an ICU? How? I'm scared I'll drown him! He was fed last week, at the end of the week. He's due to eat again, so I might pre-kill a cricket and leave it in there again.... I'm so scared. I don't want to lose my baby :'(
1020141340.jpg

xkris

Arachnosquire
its very dry in there. is he drinking anything?
no need to spray, put shallow water cap in there. if you're afraid of drowning, put pebble in it.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What I would do for an ICU is put him in a small container and put some water in it then put something to prop up one side so that the water collects in one corner and he will be able to drink out of that corner and not drown. I just had a tarantula pass and it is very hard so I hope you're doing well and know that you gave him a great life

--J.Haas

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
I'm just nervous to put water in there cause he might not move to drink it... I guess ill try the icu

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
What kind of T is this? What are you doing for ventilation? Is the T going into a death curl type position? It could just be stressed.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I thought ICUs were set up with damp paper towel on the bottom no standing water...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Looks thirsty. It should have a water bowl, along with moist long fiber sphagnum. It needs a real drink, not ICU.

Looks pretty barren in there. Are you on an austerity program?

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
It has a tiny water bowl and some moss in there normally, but I took it out to get a picture. I provided some more water, and prekilled a tiny cricket just in case for it. We'll see how he does.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It has a tiny water bowl and some moss in there normally, but I took it out to get a picture. I provided some more water, and prekilled a tiny cricket just in case for it. We'll see how he does.
It's probably not going to eat in that condition. Top priority is a drink. I give my slings long fiber sphagnum and mist that to be sure they drink, which is what yours needs. The set up looks like the Sahara.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
It's probably not going to eat in that condition. Top priority is a drink. I give my slings long fiber sphagnum and mist that to be sure they drink, which is what yours needs. The set up looks like the Sahara.
Ok. I'll fix it now. Thank you

---------- Post added 10-20-2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

So It's fixed now with moist moss and I misted the substrate. I noticed his legs are acting a little funky... Like he cant control them very well. Not like DKS funky though

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ok. I'll fix it now. Thank you

---------- Post added 10-20-2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

So It's fixed now with moist moss and I misted the substrate. I noticed his legs are acting a little funky... Like he cant control them very well. Not like DKS funky though
When they're dehydrated, their legs start to curl under and they can't walk very well. One good drink and they're back to normal within 24 hours. That's why I don't see an ICU doing any good in most situations. They need more than humidity, they need water in their body.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
When they're dehydrated, their legs start to curl under and they can't walk very well. One good drink and they're back to normal within 24 hours. That's why I don't see an ICU doing any good in most situations. They need more than humidity, they need water in their body.
Okay, thanks so much. I will update soon. Hopefully this will work and he will be back to normal soon :)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I thought ICUs were set up with damp paper towel on the bottom no standing water...
I've heard of doing that too, but when I had a few older Ts that were hobbling they did just fine w this method.

It's really up to you I guess. If it's a sling/a small species, maybe don't do the water corner method.

--J.Haas

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
He looks back to normal, thank you all so much. I really appreciate it. He thanks you too :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
He looks back to normal, thank you all so much. I really appreciate it. He thanks you too :)

You don't want slings to be soggy, but they're more sensitive to dehydration that adults are. They should have a source of moisture, and using both a water bowl and moist long fiber sphagnum is a good way to ensure hydration.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
You don't want slings to be soggy, but they're more sensitive to dehydration that adults are. They should have a source of moisture, and using both a water bowl and moist long fiber sphagnum is a good way to ensure hydration.
Okay, awesome. A water bottle cap takes up the whole enclosure, so what should I use? Just wet the moss?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Okay, awesome. A water bottle cap takes up the whole enclosure, so what should I use? Just wet the moss?
Right. Moist long fiber sphagnum will work for now. I get small bags in the nursery dept of Home Depot. Just make sure that it's not placed somewhere where there's plants above it that get watered and can drip on the bags, or that the moss isn't next to any kind of chemicals.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Right. Moist long fiber sphagnum will work for now. I get small bags in the nursery dept of Home Depot. Just make sure that it's not placed somewhere where there's plants above it that get watered and can drip on the bags, or that the moss isn't next to any kind of chemicals.
Okay, Thanks for all of your help! :)

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Uhm whats going on now? I'm going to assume he's molting? Weird. He's been like this for at least 3 hours as far as I know. Silly guy is sideways and not even leaning on anything.
1024142131.jpg

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
this morning he was still stiff-looking with his legs above his body. I know he looks normal in this pic but he just moved upright. He is in the same position as the pic posted last night 1025141148.jpg