Rough night, any ideas as to why?

cold blood

Staff member
So last night I went to bed late, checked on everyone and all was well on every front. This morning I wake and check again to see that my 1" B. albo had molted, which I had been awaiting for a good week+. Happily I opened the enclosure to remove the little exo and noticed the newly molted sling, it looked great aside from being all scrunched up...turns out it had died sometime after molting successfully....devastating, but it CAN happen. I noticed the water dish, which had water last night, was now dry.:(

Thinking it was just a bad molt, I went around to check the others only to find my larger B. albiceps (the one that actually eats and molts) was also dead (just over an inch). Its water dish however, had a little water...this t had just eaten a few days ago and was exceptionally plump and appeared by all accounts to be quite healthy.

Nothing else changed, night temps were mid-60's and last night was also the warmest night in the last month only getting to the 50's outside. Neither sling had the shriveled or dimpled abdomen that a t might have if it were dehydrated. Ironically the other albiceps sling, which is far smaller and hasn't eaten in over 3 weeks and has been my "problem child" with regards to food intake and growth is just fine...so the one I had no concerns over is the one that I lost, which I find a bit odd. I REALLY liked this sling and was looking forward to its next molt...its a favorite species for sure.

Both were kept on dry sub, with a moistened area and a small water dish and a hide, which neither t ever used. Both were good eaters, the albo was actually a great eater.

I plan on setting up a heat bath like I normally do for my slings sometime this week. All the other slings, some of which are much smaller, are all still looking healthy and in great shape and showing no signs of any problems. All I can think of is the drier air from running the heat (heat's been on here for almost 2 months now) took its toll, but why the two that appeared the plumpest and most outwardly healthy were the ones to succumb is beyond me. Any ideas that would help me prevent this from ever occurring would be appreciated.

I'd hate to have another morning like this, until now I had only lost 2 slings in 14 years. I have to think these deaths must be somehow connected.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Only thing I can imagine is temperature.

Having all of the slings in a water bath or side heated enclosure getting them to 80F without drying out the air too much may be the ticket.

Sorry for loss.

xkris

Arachnosquire
sorry to hear for your loss.
it all seams fine to me. there was water, these temperatures are also fine, they were eating, don't know what to say.
might be some weird fluke of misfortune.
maybe are they near window, are you spraying against something?

may i ask about this heat bath?

cold blood

Staff member
sorry to hear for your loss.
it all seams fine to me. there was water, these temperatures are also fine, they were eating, don't know what to say.
might be some weird fluke of misfortune.
maybe are they near window, are you spraying against something?

may i ask about this heat bath?
Naw, neither were near the window, I have my fishing rods in front of the window, both were a good distance from the window and the shade was closed. The room they are in is by far the warmest in the house, which is why its the t room...no spraying of anything, inside or outside of the room or house. I've never had issues with temps in the mid 60's for any t's or slings prior, aside from a little lower feeding needs.

I haven't set up the heat bath for the winter yet, but will very soon. I utilize an aquarium heater to maintain 78-80 degree temps. Aquarium heaters are low energy and very precise IME with regards to holding temps. I heat a tub, and place the t enclosures on a safe steady base within the water so the bottoms of the enclosures are under the water, but still very safe. It has worked like a charm in the past, giving me excellent sling growth throughout the cold winter months.

The only reason it hasn't been set up yet is because I cannot locate the tub, so I need to pick up another one.

I can't believe how upsetting today has been.:(

Condolences appreciated, thanks.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am so sorry I just lost a tarantula too- see gobeys signature lol

--J.Haas

Beltane

Arachnopeon
Sorry about what happened. Seems strange since everything was okay the night before. :(

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:( sorry to hear of your loss cold losing 1 t is never good but losing 2 in one night is terrible

gobey

Arachnoknight
Now I'm paranoid. I'm already starting to get into the cold season in my room. And i can't keep heating the room at like 76.... Too expensive. In fact I can't afford heat unnecessarily at all....

Looking into a self regulating space heater.

Your 2 little slings would want you to know they're in a better place now. And they'd want you to get 4 more.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Only thing I can imagine is temperature.
I agree. Slings are more delicate than adults, and I don't want mine getting below high 60's. Mid 60's makes me nervous; parts of the room may be below that. They're going to be weaker pre and post molt. Maybe a belly full of food is an issue too, like it is for reptiles when their metabolism drops from cool temps. Snakes regurge food they can't digest, spiders can't. For an adult that's slowed down and fed lightly over the winter, that's probably not a big concern. For a sling/juvenile that's eating and molting more often, cool temps may catch it a vulnerable point and cause some problems.

I use a thermometer-controlled space heater in my main spider room. Worth the peace of mind.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Keeping them low to the ground helps a lot guys, also just throw a blanket over them if the temps start getting extreme.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Keeping them low to the ground helps a lot guys, also just throw a blanket over them if the temps start getting extreme.
Actually, indoors it's best to keep them high on a shelf where the air is warmer. Outdoors, there's heat emanating from the ground.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Space heater works for me. I'm in Florida, but it does get in the lower 40s sometimes during winter.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man that is terrible, very sorry for your loss =(

I had my M.robustum juvie die recently also and I could not for the life of me figure out why, also lost two LP slings recently too but they are cared for exactly the same as my other two that are perfectly healthy. Sometimes things just happen =( I hope you can determine the cause

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Really? It always feels colder lower to the ground in my house, must be the tiles or something.
I was referring to outdoors; the ground is warmer than the air. I grow a lot of tropical plants, and to protect them on cold nights, I'll cover them with frost cloth, which traps in the warm air escaping from the ground (and radiating up into the sky).