Is this normal behavior for a vinegaroon?

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a vinegaroon about a month ago and I recently put more substrate and a giant rock in the enclose so he would have an easier time burrowing. Now he has burrowed all the way to the bottom of the cage through about 8 inches of substrate. Now what worries me is that lately instead of grabbing dirt from the bottom of the burrow and placing it on the outside of the burrow he has been just pushing the dirt behind him sort of like a worm would do. So now he has almost trapped himself entirely inside his burrow (not entirely). Is this normal and is there a point when I need to intervene? Thanks

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe they kind of 'hibernate' during the fall and winter. Mine has done the same thing, they usually molt at this time as well (which mine has done already)

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe they kind of 'hibernate' during the fall and winter. Mine has done the same thing, they usually molt at this time as well (which mine has done already)
I was sort of thinking that but I wasn't sure because it has been eating really well lately, which I wouldn't expect from a pre-molt individual.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a vinegaroon once who completely barricaded itself in the substrate like this, I left it alone and about 8 months later I decided it had been hidden long enough and dug it out, I was expecting it to be dead but it was fine and had molted. I was sure it would be dead but was fine and lived for another few years. Im not sure why it had not emerged on its own.