T. stirmi

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Hey all, I am an old-timer from way back in the early days of AB... recently (slowly) re-engaging with the hobby, and have recently come up to speed with the T. blondi/stirmi "situation" (hey, I said I'd been out a while). I own a T. stirmi now, and I have to say, I think they actually seem quite similar... I'm looking forward to it. :)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Congrats , welcome back to hobby! I Miss my poor stirmi , sadly had a cyst R.I.P. I cannot afford another for a while.

How big is your goliath got pics??

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Welcome back!
How big is your Stirmi and how long have you had her?

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
She's probably 7" or so stretched... she's taken quite readily to her new home and had a VERY shrunken abdomen typical of new imports. As a result, she's been pounding a big roach every day for the last week and a half lol. I didn't know what the heck a "Theraphosa sp. 'Burgundy'" was, but the price was right... fingers crossed for a female! :)

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
No, I'm just calling her a "She" right now in hopes that it will influence things, lol... I've only had her a couple weeks, she hasn't molted in my care yet...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No, I'm just calling her a "She" right now in hopes that it will influence things, lol... I've only had her a couple weeks, she hasn't molted in my care yet...
The power of positive thinking. You don't need a molt. Put it in a clear container and look at the vent. Males have a dark arrow shape above the vent, pointing towards the sternum; females don't.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Poec, I have a stirmi juvenile, its about 5-6 inches in DLS and was wondering at that size if the black arrow shape would have appeared by now? I was looking at it and didn't see any arrow shape or any darkening at all.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec, I have a stirmi juvenile, its about 5-6 inches in DLS and was wondering at that size if the black arrow shape would have appeared by now? I was looking at it and didn't see any arrow shape or any darkening at all.
You can tell at that size. The dark arrow isn't raised much, but the blackish color is pretty obvious when you cup it and use a flashlight (which is how I vent sex all my spiders). With Theraphosa you can't assume a 9" spider is mature; I've had males molt at that size and become 10" adults.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So if I don't see any black at all at the vent, it is a female or is there still that chance its a male?
Thanks Poec, you really are a big help haha. :)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is that a molt haha? I should have a picture of the T. stirmi up soon by the way to sex. I love this sp. so much, they look amazing! I just made some renovations to mines tank and added some more hiding places, next I add some pothos. Good luck on your stirmi Mister Internet! :)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is an awesome posted molt! I love posing molts as well, I have lots of true spider molts posed as well.