emergency old world bite treatment kit?

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, so I was thinking about maybe putting together some kind of treatment kit to use in the event that I or someone around me is bitten by a tarantula with more potent venom. Pokies, baboons, haplopelmas etc. I was hoping to get some suggestions as to what to include in this kit. What kind of painkillers are best for this type of situation? I know some are somewhat ineffective. What kind of muscle relaxers should be used? What do I need incase of an allergic reaction? An epipen? I have never personally been tagged by a T old world or new world and I am very careful as to insure this does not happen. But being over prepared never hurt.

---------- Post added 10-20-2014 at 04:55 PM ----------

I just realized there was a thread very similar to this that was started this year. I only noticed this after posting. Still more info isn't a bad thing.h

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally i keep a box iv never ben bit by a T only been bit by constrictor snakes P. regius P.reticulatus and a fiesty little L. getula tho i never plan on being bit by any snake, T or stung by a scorp. i keep what is labeled "feed and bleed box" inside this box i keep a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, salt, pain killers, gauze, bandages, "medical tape", sterile needle, dental floss [new no flavor] small tweezers, hemostats and some neosporen XD iv had to use this box many times with snakes [and have had to do makeshift stitches a time or two] the way i see it better safe then sorry XD iv wanted to add quick clot but havent gotten that far XD

i am also have liquid bandaid and gorilla glue gel [and super glue] as well as lil baggie of flour bit never added it yet XD as well as subscription grade pain relievers [i have high med tolerance]

just an idea of what i use :)

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
I'm almost sure you can't get an allergic reaction from tarantula venom.
My understanding is that it's very, very rare to be allergic to T venom from the get-go, but as with all venomous bites you can develop an allergic reaction. As such, an epinephrine autoinjector is a must. If you're really paranoid, as I would be, I'd suggest arranging a consultation with your doctor to see if they can't prescribe Atropine or another neurological agent inhibitor in case of a bite above the neck; it might be contraindicated, I'm not sure, but definitely ask and if your doctor doesn't know insist they consult with Venom One down in Miami.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My understanding is that it's very, very rare to be allergic to T venom from the get-go, but as with all venomous bites you can develop an allergic reaction. As such, an epinephrine autoinjector is a must. If you're really paranoid, as I would be, I'd suggest arranging a consultation with your doctor to see if they can't prescribe Atropine or another neurological agent inhibitor in case of a bite above the neck; it might be contraindicated, I'm not sure, but definitely ask and if your doctor doesn't know insist they consult with Venom One down in Miami.
That's a bit overkill, don't you think? To my knowledge, out of all the tarantula bites that happen world-wide, not a single one showed an "allergic reaction" for one, secondly atropine? Isn't that the stuff applied in case of chemical warfare exposure?!

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
That's a bit overkill, don't you think? To my knowledge, out of all the tarantula bites that happen world-wide, not a single one showed an "allergic reaction" for one, secondly atropine? Isn't that the stuff applied in case of chemical warfare exposure?!
Obviously you wouldn't use the epipen unless you started going into anaphylactic shock. As for Atropine, it's a competitive agent that prevents nerve agents, natural or artificial, from inhibiting Cholinesterase. Also obviously a worst case use, but better safe than sorry.

---------- Post added 10-21-2014 at 07:24 AM ----------

...or for quieting the "death rattle" in someone who is dying.
Never heard of that use before. Learn something new every day, I guess.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Never heard of that use before. Learn something new every day, I guess.
The sound is something you'll never forget, and you'll be glad atropine is prescribed near the end to quiet that. Especially when its a loved one or relative on their death bed.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I realize that tarantula venom does not contain the same proteins that cause allergic reactions in Bee bites and therefore an allergic reaction is extremely unlikely but honestly would you want to wait to find out? Plus epipins are good to keep around the house just incase someone has a bad allergic reaction. What pain killers work best for T bites? I want to be able to tone down the pain as much as possible. Of course I will go through the usual routine: squeezing as much venom out as you can and sucking it out if you can (yes it works). Then I would get someone to drive me to the ER asap.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I remember reading in some paper T venom lacks the proteins to cause an allergic reaction?

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
I remember reading in some paper T venom lacks the proteins to cause an allergic reaction?
It's pretty well documented that a person bitten by a venomous snake can develop an allergy to the venom, even if it wasn't previously expressed. A person can be allergic to anything, no proteins required; just look at the people allergic to latex (which is completely artificial anymore).

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm going to put LifeSavers candies in my bite kit. The white ones. Just in case T venom causes Halitosis.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
I've heard that squeezing the bite actually causes more bloodflow in the area causing the venom to spread throughout your system quicker and easier.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard that squeezing the bite actually causes more bloodflow in the area causing the venom to spread throughout your system quicker and easier.
Increased bloodflow is what you would want in the case of an envenomation from spider or snake, thus diluting the venom through your entire bloodstream. Restricting bloodflow would concentrate the venom in the extremity where you received the bite, thus causing more tissue damage.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
If you look through the bite reports of even the most medically significant species, you'll notice that in most cases, popping pain killers, antihistamines, muscle relaxers and just riding it out are all that is necessary in most cases (and in the more severe, an ER visit). An Epipen is, in my opinion, going a bit far and dangerous if used improperly (and using it for something that isn't supposed to be able to set off an allergic reaction would be improperly). I'm supposed to have an Epi because of legitimate medical emergency type allergies and...well, I don't at the moment. The last time something set off an anaphylactic reaction I was without it, which was a bit scary, but I keep Benadryl on hand at all times as back-up--which worked just fine, not as quickly mind, but it worked. If Benadryl can help with these type of real allergies, I'm sure it would work fine for tarantula envenomation, which again, supposedly shouldn't be able to cause an allergic reaction. If you feel the need to make a kit, stock it with whatever painkillers work for you, Benadryl, muscle relaxers (SAM-E is a good one) and some sort of wound wash/antiseptic to clean the wound, which I feel is a much more real point of concern considering that the known deaths were the result of secondary infection from the bite wound, not the venom or any sort of reaction to it.

Last edited:

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Going back to one of my previous questions. Which pain killers tend to work and which don't? I've heard quite a few mixed reports on this. My biggest fear in this hobby is getting tagged by some big OW. Not my idea of fun. I did a rehouse on a very pissed off 3 inch OBT today and it made me think of this thread.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Much more sense. I'd imagine an urgent care visit could prescribe something stronger if needed.