g.rosea tried to molt 12 days after molting last. changed its mind

coppercab

Arachnopeon
Anybody know why I might have found my g.rosea on its back in molt position, less than two weeks after its last molt?
I had to leave but when I returned two hours later it was buisness as usual. With no sign of a molt or premolt behavior.
Could it be that because I was feeding her so rapidly? (the molt 12 days ago was very hard on her. she lost a huge percentage of body mass) I fed her once in ICU (at least 4 days after molting, shes young and recovers fast) and then probably 6 or 7 more times in the following 4 or 5 days. She never once failed to except one and over time regained stability and stopped going limp.
She regained all her mass over this period. In hind sight maybe the rapid expanding was a shock to her body.
Note: it wasn't a wet molt, but she came out considerably smaller. I assume maybe the humidity was too low, but there's also a possibility it's because of the dry cricket food I use. I mix with vegetables but the dry food has calcium

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you post pictures, I am about 99.9% sure it isn't actually molting 12 days. Are you sure it isn't a MM and making a sperm web? Maybe its dead? Calcium has *nothing* to do with molting at all. G. roseas are from one of the driest parts of the world, I highly doubt humidity was an issue.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Spiders' abdomens are always smaller after molting. It's just the way it is, it isn't a sign of a hard molt. ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Spiders' abdomens are always smaller after molting. It's just the way it is, it isn't a sign of a hard molt. ;)
+1 If they didn't lose all that mass underneath, it would be considerably more difficult to remove its self from the old exo....100% of t's will have a smaller abdomen after molt than before, some are just more extreme than others, its not anything to worry about and there is no reason to feed that much in such a short time period as that fattening up will naturally take place over time and gradual feedings. Its not gonna hurt it or anything to pound the food in like that (especially as a sling), but it WILL bring up fasting sooner. It may be in pre-molt for a long time in the near future...don't worry if it starts refusing food soon.

My guess is that it being on its back had absolutely nothing to do with molting...it likely was climbing and fell onto its back and maybe stayed that way for a bit while it recovered from the "shock". 12 days isn't nearly enough time to even begin growth on a new exo, much less get ready to pop out of it....especially with this species, they do everything slowly.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ive seen a T do this before it is unusual. Perhaps it loves flipping on its back who knows, did it fall from climbing?:mask:

xkris

Arachnosquire
i've seen the exact same think with my e.olivacea sling. found it on its back. so i thought cool its molting and left it alone. came back, it didn't moult
and was up and about, all normal again. i was perplexed, and was watching like a hawk. but all was ok with it. it did moult after a month later.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
i've seen the exact same think with my e.olivacea sling. found it on its back. so i thought cool its molting and left it alone. came back, it didn't moult
and was up and about, all normal again. i was perplexed, and was watching like a hawk. but all was ok with it. it did moult after a month later.
TS do act bizzare I will give them that !!:clown: