Phidippus ID?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Anyone know what species of Phidippus this is? Caught in Colorado Springs, Colorado, end of July.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Could be insignarius maybe, but there's probably something else that overlaps that I'm leaving out. I'm also pretty awful at immature jumpers. It's a gorgeous photo, though!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh believe me, I'm waiting :) I was recently told that it could be a P. tyrrelli, so that's another possibility. It has molted once in my care and is either a female or it hasn't matured into a male yet. Still could be an immature though.

Salticstance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whoever told you P. tyrrelli must really be into Phids. Since these mature in the summer, your female P. tyrrelli is surely an adult now. Let's see those epigynum pics!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whoever told you P. tyrrelli must really be into Phids. Since these mature in the summer, your female P. tyrrelli is surely an adult now. Let's see those epigynum pics!
Sure seemed like it! I posted this same pic up on Facebook and I believe it was you Salticstance that gave me the ID ;) I'll see if I can get a few other pics of this beauty to really get the details for you all!

Salticstance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks more like insignarius, IMO.
Now that it's mature, images of the dorsum and venter should allow us to make a conclusive identification. As we all know, color patterns can change significantly with each molt. When I said that about the epigynum pics, I was making a bit of a joke but was serious about wanting to see the underside of the abdomen.
Another thing that I have found is that the use of the word "always" in a description is not a good idea. P. insignarius is described as always having a rectangular center spot (spots II), but this isn't so. There is so much variation in Phidippus species. This may be insignarius, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

After looking at the images on bugguide, this does look a lot like those P. insignarius. Sometimes, the center spots completely fuse to form a rectangle, but not always. There's an image of what is likely an adult female that has spots very similar to this one.
P. insignarius have a black venter bordered by two white stripes. P. tyrrelli have a solid black venter.

Last edited: