Can't Decide

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
Hi Again,

So, my Avic unfortunately passed away. However, that does free up some room for another invert. I'm thinking of getting a scorpion at the next expo. Right now, out of what will be available, it's a toss-up between Parabuthus transvaalicus and Hadrurus spadix. I'm just curious what you guys think as to which will make a more interesting captive. I'm aware that the P. transvaalicus has fairly strong venom and can spray it (I can work around that). If you guys have any other ideas as to cool scorpions, let me know.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Hadrurus spp. tend to make huge burrow systems. ; Im not sure if H. Spadix has the same moulting problems in captivity as Hadrurus arizonensis, but its something to be aware of.
If you are going with them, perhaps talk with AZJohn
If you do go with it; make sure your medium can hold burrows. ; I used a coco/clay mix with some success.

I have some Hottentotta Hottentotta available. (In Southern Ont. ; PM me if you like)

I found P. transvaalicus to be rather dull looking in appearance compared with other Parabuthus Spp. ; but still an interesting species to keep.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Parabuthus transvaalicus will always be my 1st choice and recommended choice, especially when kept communally as adults. They are incredibly active and curious specimen to observe in captivity for these reasons. I've never had one spray venom, even taking scorplings away from an angry mother didnt even get much more than a threat display or a toss of the tail. The captive specimen are very chilled out as adults, but quite squirrely as youngsters.

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys! The other species I'm considering are Rhopalurus junceus, because they're so incredibly colourful, and Heterometrus sp., because I think they look cool too, and they get big. Any experience with these guys and their behaviour?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys! The other species I'm considering are Rhopalurus junceus, because they're so incredibly colourful, and Heterometrus sp., because I think they look cool too, and they get big. Any experience with these guys and their behaviour?
Heterometrus = Expect an emperor, but more active and skittish. Makes them more fun, I've got a tank full of seven of them and they hate disturbances, it's like the world is ending to them.
junceus = my friend keeps these and I have for a short time. I dont find them terribly different from keeping Centruroides gracilis and similar specimen in that family. Colorful, fairly social: I'm told they are fairly communal from 5i and up (with the occasional bit of cannibalism if youre unlucky) and produce large broods.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Parabuthus transvaalicus will always be my 1st choice and recommended choice, especially when kept communally as adults. They are incredibly active and curious specimen to observe in captivity for these reasons. I've never had one spray venom, even taking scorplings away from an angry mother didnt even get much more than a threat display or a toss of the tail. The captive specimen are very chilled out as adults, but quite squirrely as youngsters.
Did you see much diff in behavior between transvaalicus and villosus? I've never had a venom spraying problem either. And even when something like that has happened with transvaalicus while moving stuff around and being a little rough at times. I've gotten it on my fingers and from that, in my eyes, it's not that big a deal, something like getting pepper juice in your eyes, just rinse.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you see much diff in behavior between transvaalicus and villosus? I've never had a venom spraying problem either. And even when something like that has happened with transvaalicus while moving stuff around and being a little rough at times. I've gotten it on my fingers and from that, in my eyes, it's not that big a deal, something like getting pepper juice in your eyes, just rinse.
As juvis, no, theyre both skittish and wanna make a run for it, but aggressive eaters
As adults? Yes, villosus are more skittish and sensitive to vibrations, however they are more active, especially during the daytime, which makes them an amazing display piece. (Theyre the only described dinural scorpion) They are fine in pairs in my experience. Then you have transvaalicus. Even the males are communal! They share the same hides and are very active at night.

Both are very curious, and amazing specimen to keep.

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
OK guys, due to my friend and an arachnid vendor advising me that scorplings are more delicate than spiderlings, I'm going to go with a juvenile/sub-adult H. arizonensis instead. But thank you all for the advice! One more question: do scorpions have to be adults in order to sex them via pectines?

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Like i said in one post, no one does orange justice than a R.junceus does! :)