"Must have" Ts that you don't find attractive

Lacey

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering if any of you dislike tarantulas that everyone seems to love?

I really don't like OBTs. I hate the colour orange and there isn't anything uglier to me than a bright orange tarantula! The same seems to go for GBBs, another crowd favourite. The fuzzy orange bum of C. Cyaneopubescens really turn me off! Lastly, S. Calceatum will never make its way into my collection. I've tried and tried to see their beauty but they look like cancer to me.

Am I insane? Or are there others out there?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people say A. geniculata is a must have, I think they look bland. Same with G. pulchripes, I think they are flat out boring.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think OBTs and GBBs are gorgeous, Then again I like the color orange. I totally agree with G.pulchripes and G.pulcher I'm not a fan of either. Very bland and also very overrated tarantulas.

cold blood

Staff member
This one's easy for me...its a t that seems to be on everyone's must have list, but its one of only a small few that I have zero interest in...the large, but bland and boring looking LP. I just don't get the draw in any way at all. Every other large spider with an appetite looks 100 times better on a bad day, its like being on a car lot looking for an SUV and CHOOSING a Pontiac Aztec IMO. :puke:

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I held off on getting a Rose Hair because I think they are just about the ugliest/most boring spider out there. I also don't like LP's, T blondi/stirmi, B albos, - anything brown!! And honestly, I don't think pokies are all that pretty or impressive. I've never owned one and don't know that I ever would unless it was given to me. The metallicas are just too harsh looking and the rest of them are essentially brown with some color stripes. A versicolor, or B boehmei, GBBs, E olivacea - any of the baboons, really - those are what *I* like.

I always feel like I'm playing pokemon when discussing tastes in tarantulas and personal collections. -lol-

Lacey

Arachnopeon
Oh I love my pokies! I've been on a hunt to complete my collection, just missing Fasciata. Gotta have em all!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I need rufliata and subfusca, and metallica. Sadly metallica is above my budget at the moment, and I'd only want a female if I got a rufliata, and those are unfortunately rather pricey as well.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@Bob, ironically, I have both Lp and T. stirmi. I think T. stirmi is FAR prettier than A. geniculatas and L. parahybanas haha

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Bob, ironically, I have both Lp and T. stirmi. I think T. stirmi is FAR prettier than A. geniculatas and L. parahybanas haha
That's cool. I'm more of an arboreal guy anyway. The majority of terrestrial species just don't do it for me.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am starting to move toward arboreals, I had terrestrials only for over a year, at least. Now, out of 17 tarantulas I have an A. avicularia, A. amazonica, A. versicolor, A. metallica, and a P. irminia. I think I may like Avics ;).

Zigana

Arachnosquire
The biggest part of my collection consists of solid dark colors or two tone brown/black. I have considered a B. smithi several times but end up choosing another black G. pulchra over the colorful B. smithi. I have a lot of A.hentzi too along with one A. avic and two very grey G. porteri females.

I think the brightly colored ones are pretty, just don't want one same as with arboreals.

Last edited:

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
Not a fan of OBT's. The attitude and the bright orange are huge turn offs for me. I like earthy-colored t's like my curly hairs, b vagans, and lp's....
Definitely more of a terrestrial girl. I like their big, bulky bods.

Lacey

Arachnopeon
Love Asian arboreals, I can never get enough of them.. It's rough on the wallet though.

Feriat

Arachnopeon
I absolutely hate all avics. They are so absurdly fluffy. Also I never understood why people think G. rosea/porteri are pretty in any way.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm not a fan of roseas, LPs or even most brachys really. I do have a few brown spiders but they either have a very cool personality or are not "just brown" like in the case of my O.sp Blue. OBT's are kinda neat but I have my own orange hell spawn in the form of my H.sp Columbia, though their gold form or the mistaken P.vortax does really interest me.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't really like brachy's either, I only have one and it is a B. albopilosum. I only have that one because it was a freebie. I like more colorful tarantulas or at least, things that catch my eye, sometimes that may be certain shades of brown lol.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm shocked to see so many Avic and Pokie haters. Hating Avics because they're fluffy? Really? That's exactly why I find them so appealing.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Me too haha!, there also extremely colorful! I recently got an A. avicularia juvenile female and its colors rival that of my GBB juvenile male! It is blue and has bright red hairs on its abdomen....and its fluffy! Poecilotherias look awesome, the only off-putting thing about them is the venom.