Is She Pregnant or Just Fat?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
74372c04-8aa8-42e7-9670-78f484500e50.jpg I got this porteri a couple of days ago and she is so fat. I don't know that she has been over feed but here she is. Opinions? Thoughts? Concerns?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That's fatter than normal. Could be full of eggs. She's clumsy and her abdomen could easily rupture. Stop handling her!!!

Medusa

Arachnoknight
My porteri is and has been that fat for months. And she has refused food for months. Not sure what's keeping her so portly. [emoji53]

cold blood

Staff member
I agree, could be gravid. In 14 years, many of which I over-fed considerably, mine NEVER looked quite THAT fat.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does that not look like premolt to you guys? You can see the exoskeleton underneath and it is almost black in color.

cold blood

Staff member
Its the only species I've dealt with where I fail to be able to see pre-molt....mine looks just like that (thinner though), with the dark area in the front of the rump, and its not due to molt for over 3 years. They have a tendency to not ever flick, which leaves a rump full of hairs, making actually seeing the skin beneath difficult. The mirror patch is still quite obvious, doesn't seem to have dimmed. Hard to tell IMO.

cold blood

Staff member
I see what you see, I have just made the wrong assumption with mine enough times to question what I see. Wouldn't surprise me if you're right at all...I also wouldn't be surprised if you were wrong though either. That's obscenely fat and ROUND, it really could be gravid...it could just be one that doesn't fast as much as a typical porteri. I'm "on the fence".

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I have a good size MF G. porteri that I got from a pet store awhile back. She has a very large abdomen too that I am hoping she will lay an egg sac but I don't know if she will. Like me think you will have to wait and see.

Last edited: