Now what?

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
View attachment 131121 View attachment 131122 View attachment 131123 Long story short I have two pink toe tarantulas.(aka Bonnie and Clyde)
They successfully mated, however this was their first time. My question is simple what should I expect to happen now? Like how many weeks should I wait to know if she's fertile? Is there a sign she will give? When would be a safe period to maybe try again? Thank you for identifying my male. I have a two part exciting video to anyone who may be interested.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Keep her warm and feed her well so she can produce eggs. The wait is usually months, can be even 6+ months. Fertile? The eggs aren't fertilized until they're laid. There is no safe period to try again. Males are frequently killed during follow up pairings. Kind of pointless. How much sperm do you think she needs? They can't hold buckets of it. In the meantime get the 3rd edition of Tarantula Keeper's Guide.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Thanks it was a nerve racking process a few people said I should try pairing weekly. I feel safer waiting a couple months. I will go pick up the book today

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks it was a nerve racking process a few people said I should try pairing weekly.
Who in the hell told you that? Where's she going to put all that sperm? Males often wear out their welcome after the first visit, and a weekly rendezvous is basically feeding him to the female, which is another poor idea. If she sheds before laying a sac (as they do all too often), she'll need to mate again, and you've lost your male. There's better things for females to eat then male spiders.

Stan's book will clear up a lot of basic questions.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Who in the hell told you that? Where's she going to put all that sperm? Males often wear out their welcome after the first visit, and a weekly rendezvous is basically feeding him to the female, which is another poor idea. If she sheds before laying a sac (as they do all too often), she'll need to mate again, and you've lost your male. There's better things for females to eat then male spiders.

Stan's book will clear up a lot of basic questions.
Not to start that discussion in this thread, but I hear lots of breeders say "Pay them up at least twice, better triple, to make sure she has enough sperm stored and get higher chances for 100% fertile eggs" over here. I've paired both my C. fimbriatus and A. sp. "Amazonica" (manaus) only once though. I was considering trying again with my fimbriatus (the Avic boy died a few weeks after sadly) because of that, but decided against it because of the same reasons you mentioned. Plus, in case she does molt out, I'll still have a good-to-go MM hopefully then.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not to start that discussion in this thread, but I hear lots of breeders say "Pay them up at least twice, better triple, to make sure she has enough sperm stored and get higher chances for 100% fertile eggs".

Nervous old ladies. They're probably holding their lucky rabbit's foot and wearing their good luck socks too.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Funny enough, all guys! :D

Yeah, but some guys can act like nervous old ladies. And what about the guys at football games that paint their heads green? Does that help their team win?

Repairing greatly increases the odds of males getting killed, often without mating again. When females shed, you might be out of males and out of luck. It may be EXACTLY the thing that keeps you from getting a sac.

This is why: I paired up a 7" Lampro violaceopes female in the fall, male was in one night, took him out. She shed several months later. I still had the male, paired them up, one night again. She laid a sac that spring, and a second sac in the summer. Two big sacs from one pairing. Plenty of sperm. Had I kept re-pairing him, he'd have been killed in the first go-round, and I wouldn't have had a male for when she had shed. That would have meant no sacs at all.

Like I said, nervous old ladies.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep and pretty much the same train of thought I had when pairing my C. fimbriatus. The male is eating fine and after she didn't show any whatever aggression towards him that first try, I figured I should be happy and see how it goes instead of risking his life.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yep and pretty much the same train of thought I had when pairing my C. fimbriatus. The male is eating fine and after she didn't show any whatever aggression towards him that first try, I figured I should be happy and see how it goes instead of risking his life.
I believe the thinking is: 'I don't need him anymore, so it doesn't matter if he gets eaten.' But, if the female sheds, and you've basically 'fed off' the male...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I believe the thinking is: 'I don't need him anymore, so it doesn't matter if he gets eaten.' But, if the female sheds, and you've basically 'fed off' the male...
Exactly...

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
That has to be some sort of American thinking, I have never heard anything like that over here, we value our males big time, especially the large ones with the potent sperm.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That has to be some sort of American thinking, I have never heard anything like that over here, we value our males big time, especially the large ones with the potent sperm.
Americans have a different approach to life. We tend to think of most things as being disposable. We also have big SUV's and PU's which we drive poorly, and like to watch grown men get paid millions of dollars to chase after balls. And don't get the wrong impression, we're not superficial and shallow. Alright, maybe just a little.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Americans have a different approach to life. We tend to think of most things as being disposable. We also have big SUV's and PU's which we drive poorly, and like to watch grown men get paid millions of dollars to chase after balls. And don't get the wrong impression, we're not superficial and shallow. Alright, maybe just a little.
Oh, I wouldn't dare make that assumption :wink:

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't forget the fact that we like to eat food clinically proven to cause obesity and if consumed in large amounts an early death due to said obesity. We also say homosexuals should die because a floating man in the sky says so :)

cold blood

Staff member
Americans have a different approach to life. We tend to think of most things as being disposable.

Unfortunately very true:(

We also have big SUV's and PU's which we drive poorly, and like to watch grown men get paid millions of dollars to chase after balls. And don't get the wrong impression, we're not superficial and shallow. Alright, maybe just a little.
We aren't alone in that...Europeans playing sports make bank over there as well...actually their soccer players are generally paid better than our athletes by a bunch. Its all about entertainment, just like all the actors worldwide making enough to buy their own personal islands. :wink:

We do have some of the worst, most uneducated drivers on earth though...drives me bonkers that with all the great roads and cars that most here don't take driving nearly as seriously as they should. Instead of really educating drivers and how to handle their vehicles at speed, we teach just enough to get by and rely on uber low speed limits...which in turn increase revenue from tickets and the increased insurance rates that follow!

Last edited:

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We aren't alone in that...Europeans playing sports make bank over there as well...actually their soccer players are generally paid better than our athletes by a bunch. Its all about entertainment, just like all the actors worldwide making enough to buy their own personal islands. :wink:
Also true. I get irritated when other countries bash America when those countries do much of the same things we do.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Also true. I get irritated when other countries bash America when those countries do much of the same things we do.
I see Americans bash America more than anyone else, third world warriors coming in second and then Europe.