P platyomma dimorphism or colour

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Hi,

Done my research and googling.

Is there any way to know, when buying a sling, if this species will be the brown/tan or the nice black and pink variation? Please help as I have just been offered a sling at a decent price but dont want the brown/tan one.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hi,

Done my research and googling.

Is there any way to know, when buying a sling, if this species will be the brown/tan or the nice black and pink variation? Please help as I have just been offered a sling at a decent price but dont want the brown/tan one.
Females will always be mostly black/tan with the occasional hint of purple as adults, males will always be a bright pink/purple as adults. So really you need to figure out what gender that sling is and then go from there. Though I will say even if my pamph is a girl (though I really think it's a boy) I will still enjoy it for its personality. Up until subadult/adult stage the two genders will pretty much look the same so you need to look at a molt or look at them ventrally.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Their colors of a fresh molted one can look drastically different from one that hasn't molted in a long time.

Later, Tom

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
for the time being I turned this one down as it was a female, I assume, as it was dark tan in colour. I really want a pink/purple male- the colours are too amazing. Plus they are fairly expensive around here. Ranging from 500ZAR to 900ZAR for slings.

Thanks for the input all.

If anyone has photos of when their male/females where slings I would appreciate it as this T got bumped up into my top 3 of the wishlist.

awiec

Arachnoprince
for the time being I turned this one down as it was a female, I assume, as it was dark tan in colour. I really want a pink/purple male- the colours are too amazing. Plus they are fairly expensive around here. Ranging from 500ZAR to 900ZAR for slings.

Thanks for the input all.

If anyone has photos of when their male/females where slings I would appreciate it as this T got bumped up into my top 3 of the wishlist.
Males and females look the same as slings, you'd have to get a molt or ventral shot to tell the gender. You don't see the color differences until they are older/bigger, they also look a lot different when they are about to molt as well.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Males and females look the same as slings, you'd have to get a molt or ventral shot to tell the gender. You don't see the color differences until they are older/bigger, they also look a lot different when they are about to molt as well.
This helps, thanks!
I was wonder the impression this species looked different between the sexes from slings...

awiec

Arachnoprince
This helps, thanks!
I was wonder the impression this species looked different between the sexes from slings...
I have a suspect male pampho and he looks the same as his sisters did as slings. I only think he is a male due to some ventral sexing. At around 2.5-3 inches (6.3-7.6 cm I think) you have a better shot of figuring out what they are with molts or ventral sexing.