Can the brocklehursti overeat like her sister geniculata

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
I recently acquired a brocklehursti as my first T after tons of research and being lucky enough to find a store in my area that actually has a pretty big selection of tarantulas.

My only concern is whether or not she will gorge herself like some say the geniculata does or if shes more like most other T's and only eats when she wants to. I waited a few days after she got comfy to feed her and pretty much every few days after tested to see if she wanted more and she does every single time. (im feeding her a variety of roaches, superworms and the occasional hornworm)

Thanks in advance!

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
I attached a photo because even though im almost 100% sure shes a brocklehursti i could be mistaken.

This is from her first day home when she was less than happy about being transported to her new home lol, shes sincee been moved into a quieter and warmer area of my place.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yes I have a very fat female, and I am not feeding her again til next molt. Sorry I dont got a camera.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The big South Americans are famous for having great appetites; they have to, to get up to size. It's not over-eating. It's going into growth.

Great species!

Last edited:

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Perfect thanks Poec54 just didnt want to overdo it and mess her up somehow!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Perfect thanks Poec54 just didnt want to overdo it and mess her up somehow!
No, you won't. Slings/juveniles need to grow, they're driven by instinct. The sooner they get large, the less vulnerable they are to predators, and the sooner they can reproduce. Doesn't do them any good to mosey along and grow slow. If their native habitat has ample food, water, and warm temps for most or all of the year, there's nothing holding them back. For species in places that only have those resources for part of the year, they can't afford to grow too fast and be caught without food and water after molting. That's why desert/semi-arid species grow relatively slow regardless. It's too risky for them to grow fast and be stranded. Evolution has thinned out the fast ones in those climates.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
Pretty good sized brocklehursti you found. Were you able to pick her up for a decent price?

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Were you able to pick her up for a decent price?
The price probably wasn't the best, I looked around on the enet and with shipping included she wasn't an awful price given shes about 4-5"(they said four but im almost positive shes closer to five I'll measure when she lets me.) but i paid 250 for her give or take a couple dollars (had everything else on the tab when i bought her) probably pretty pricey for instore but like i said including shipping (and my terror of her dying in transit after paying 2-300 for her ;() its not THAT bad. Let me know if that was insane or not lol. This was part of an anniversary gift from my Girlfriend of five years who is also afraid of spiders but has come to now adore her kind of a weird development but she helped me buy it and didnt want to have one shipped in because of the same fear of death in transit so.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like geniculata to me, but pictures can be deceiving :D

Besides, "brocklehursti" isn't a valid name anymore. It's now "A. theraphosidae" . Read here => CLICK

As mentioned in the above paper, best to keep the T labeled as "A. brocklehursti" though, personally I'd label it "Hobby A. brocklehursti" to make it clear.

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Besides, "brocklehursti" isn't a valid name anymore. It's now "A. theraphosidae" . Read here => CLICK
Yea i am aware but for ease and simplicity because there are alot of people who dont know this yet.

Thanks for trying to give me a heads up though!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yea i am aware but for ease and simplicity because there are alot of people who dont know this yet.

Thanks for trying to give me a heads up though!
Alright, I'm just of the opinion to use actual scientific names and maybe give a reference to what it was called before *shrugs* didn't mean to sound rude. Congrats, btw.

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
No rudeness taken at all! :biggrin: I'll add the A. in next time to make it easier for people.
Thanks im pretty excited was a bit nervous at first but over the last two weeks i've fallen in love with this hobby more than i even thought i would from the start of it

---------- Post added 10-22-2014 at 02:36 PM ----------

Looks like geniculata to me, but pictures can be deceiving :D
Ive looked pretty in detail about this and im almost positive shes a A. Brocklehursti BUT ill try to snap a better pic if i get home before its dark tonight and see what everyone else thinks

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ive looked pretty in detail about this and im almost positive shes a A. Brocklehursti BUT ill try to snap a better pic if i get home before its dark tonight and see what everyone else thinks
They're somewhat difficult to keep apart IMO.

Couple pics of my big girl (geniculata) for comparison:

Top view of carapace

Complete look

Like it has been stated in the paper you read, it's quite possible that these two aren't even two seperate species, but just variations of one and the same. *shrugs* I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
Storm76,
The OP shows an A. theraphosidae. (formerly brocklehursti) Your big girl is clearly a "true A. geniculata, and a beauty at that!:biggrin:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Storm76,
The OP shows an A. theraphosidae. (formerly brocklehursti) Your big girl is clearly a "true A. geniculata, and a beauty at that!:biggrin:
Judging from his pics of that one, I kinda suspect geniculata there too, though. Oh well, I've been wrong before and am certainly not as experienced like those decade-long keepers, but still thought I'd sound my opinion. Only posted those images as a comparison as I said.

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Man she is beautiful, ill post better pictures tonight if she is out and about when i get home from work for a clearer view!

cold blood

Staff member
The price probably wasn't the best, I looked around on the enet and with shipping included she wasn't an awful price given shes about 4-5"(they said four but im almost positive shes closer to five I'll measure when she lets me.) but i paid 250 for her give or take a couple dollars (had everything else on the tab when i bought her) probably pretty pricey for instore but like i said including shipping (and my terror of her dying in transit after paying 2-300 for her ;() its not THAT bad. Let me know if that was insane or not lol. This was part of an anniversary gift from my Girlfriend of five years who is also afraid of spiders but has come to now adore her kind of a weird development but she helped me buy it and didnt want to have one shipped in because of the same fear of death in transit so.
That sounds like an LPS price, if its properly identified a female its not horrible. The "insane" thing here is your unrealistic concern over shipping. T's ship very well, losses are very few and you will almost always get a LAG (live arrival guarantee)...people shipping them have excellent techniques and packaging. Its probably safer to ship one half way across the country than to drive it a half hour home loosly contained in an LPS container. If you avoid having them shipped, it really limits what you can get...with shipping, available species skyrocket...and prices plummet!

Nice t btw.:)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Which T is bigger are they all about the same size??Is color the only real difference in these Ts
I hope my A genic sling is female, fingers crossed.

Shipping can get pricey though $30-40 1day express. Still not bad for a big order though if u get a lot of Ts or large T.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Which T is bigger are they all about the same size??Is color the only real difference in these Ts
I hope my A genic sling is female, fingers crossed.

Shipping can get pricey though $30-40 1day express. Still not bad for a big order though if u get a lot of Ts or large T.
When weather is conducive (not winter up north and mid summer in the deep south) you can get lag with 2 day for as little as $10, and lots at $15. Very safe:wink:

Shop the classified section here!

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
When weather is conducive (not winter up north and mid summer in the deep south) you can get lag with 2 day for as little as $10, and lots at $15. Very safe:wink:

Shop the classified section here!
Yeah I agree.