Worried about dubias

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I usually kill dubias dead as a doornail on rare occasion that I feed them to my Ts, however, I was feeding one to my avic avic and she grabbed it, then let go and it fell and scurried off behind some foliage. I guess it wasn't all the way dead. I can't locate if for the life of me now, been searching for 20 mins! How worried should I be??

goodyt

Arachnosquire
You shouldn't be worried at all. The dubia's not gonna be predatorial your Avic avic.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You shouldn't be worried at all. The dubia's not gonna be predatorial your Avic avic.
thank u I was having a freakin heart attack over here lol

---------- Post added 10-22-2014 at 12:29 PM ----------

Are they worrisome if left alive in a terrestrial Ts tank?

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
From everything ive found they will just burrow and hide for awhile and then at night come out at some point and she will kill it ((i had one in my tank a few days ago found him eaten this morning)

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Just to make you feel even better if you do superworms and they burrow (swear its inevitable) they will either come back out and get eaten, dug up and eaten or turn into a pupae and if you still cant find it at that point it will rise as a soft beetle (takes a few days to harden) and you can either remove it or it will get eaten far before it can do any harm to your T

xkris

Arachnosquire
do be more careful with superworms. they have huge powerful yaws and can do damage. just squish or cut off their yaws - problem solved, no more burrowing, lives for up to 3 days more.
much more safe.

with dubia squish or cut off head, no more burrowing, still kicks and lives for up to 3 days.
about the one that got away, they are considerably less dangerous than superworms. chances are it will get eaten.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Just to make you feel even better if you do superworms and they burrow (swear its inevitable) they will either come back out and get eaten, dug up and eaten or turn into a pupae and if you still cant find it at that point it will rise as a soft beetle (takes a few days to harden) and you can either remove it or it will get eaten far before it can do any harm to your T
Superworms can and have kill spiders, especially molting ones. I tend to avoid using them as feeders for my inverts.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You're worried and rightly so. They'll go thru your stuff, and toss things from dresser drawers onto the floor. Probably leave lights on all over the house and leave the faucet running. Don't be surprised if your credit cards are missing. They're pranksters all right.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I usually kill dubias dead as a doornail on rare occasion that I feed them to my Ts, however, I was feeding one to my avic avic and she grabbed it, then let go and it fell and scurried off behind some foliage. I guess it wasn't all the way dead. I can't locate if for the life of me now, been searching for 20 mins! How worried should I be??
Some Avics are seriously picky eaters. My A. avic girl despises dubias, mealworms and superworms. She bites them alright, then she tosses them away. Cricket on the other hand, or chocolate roaches...get immediately pounced and eaten!

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
absolutely not true. superworms WILL become predatory and kill your tarantula if it is molting, and your T is also vulnerable while hardening after molting.

cold blood

Staff member
+3 on the dangers superworms can present. This is a pic from a concerned local that contacted me in distress. We went to bed after watching his beautiful mature female GBB molt. Woke up in the am to find that the beetles from escaped superworms had risen up and opened his GBB up like a beer can...Dead GBB.:(

He didn't know what they were...immediately I responded with "oh, you feed superworms" He didn't realize that they were the larval stage of a large black beetle and was surprised. With no food available they just stayed pretty much dormant until food presented its self....in the form of a freshly molted t.

Best to always crush their heads prior to feeding, both so they don't escape and so their huge mandibles don't do any damage while getting killed by the t...they have seriously oversized jaws on them and as beetles they are still capable of killing a molting t....probably for days after the molt.

Attachments

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, regarding the dubias in both arboreal and terrestrial Ts is no threat, is that correct?

cold blood

Staff member
Well, regarding the dubias in both arboreal and terrestrial Ts is no threat, is that correct?
Correct...with avics, they tend to both spend their time high as well as web themselves in pretty good, which naturally makes them less vulnerable to even crickets roaming about.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
do be more careful with superworms. they have huge powerful yaws and can do damage. just squish or cut off their yaws - problem solved, no more burrowing, lives for up to 3 days more.
much more safe.

with dubia squish or cut off head, no more burrowing, still kicks and lives for up to 3 days.
about the one that got away, they are considerably less dangerous than superworms. chances are it will get eaten.
Hmm I never had a T attacked by a superworm ever, Ill keep that in mind. I only feed larger Ts them though.

Akai

Arachnobaron
In regards to Dubia I find them extremely hardy. I once found a large dubia nymph in an empty enclosure that had not been used for at least a month in a half. No water, no food and it was burrowed in deep in the sub which is an annoying thing about dubias. I was amazed at how long it survived in the enclosure. I always feel bad when they don't get eaten right away. lol I know that sounds strange but I've come to enjoy raising feeder roaches over the years and that lucky little guy I isolated in a deli cup by itself and gut loaded it before I let it rejoin the colony.

Drache

Arachnosquire
Some Avics are seriously picky eaters. My A. avic girl despises dubias, mealworms and superworms. She bites them alright, then she tosses them away. Cricket on the other hand, or chocolate roaches...get immediately pounced and eaten!
I have to ask - are chocolate roaches a species, or are you being funny and referring to chocolate covered roaches? And if it's the former, what species are they? I'd quite like to replace my e.distanti with something yummier.

Last edited:

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Roaches are detritovores meaning they eat detritus, dead or decaying matter. Also they are pansies I just seriously can't imagine a roach trying anything to a larger predator. Even arboreals will dig them out eventually if they are hungry enough. In the meantime there is absolutely nothing to worry about.