got a new T yesturday:) that makes six now!! (PIC)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
so yesterday I took a pretty long drive to an exotic pet store that had a large selection on Ts for sale! I wanted to buy all of them because they clearly don't know anything about arachnids from what I could tell! buy I just simply don't have the money for that! anyways, after a long debate in my head on which one to choose I finally came to the decision to get the Brachypelma smithii that they had for sale:) I am very happy with my decision and he/she Is happy too!:) its very docile and doesn't really move much, which in some ways is a plus! I also have a question though, they had a "giant Columbian red leg" for sale for $140. I thought this was pretty high of a price and was wondering if anyone would know wether that species is normally high or not in price?

redknee.jpg

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Great purchase, ArachnoFreak, the smithi's are THE classic T of the hobby. I have two, and can't wait for them to grow and see their vibrant colours really pop. :)

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for her? (it looks like a her)

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Congrats :) I have a B. smithi ordered that should be here tomorrow something. Yours is a beauty :)

Akai

Arachnobaron
I also have a question though, they had a "giant Columbian red leg" for sale for $140. I thought this was pretty high of a price and was wondering if anyone would know wether that species is normally high or not in price?
If you are talking about Megaphobema robustum then yes they can be pricey. It depends on the size but I wouldn't pay that much unless its a sexed female. I would consider these intermediate because of their temp requirements and they aren't great display spiders because they are obligate burrowers. They are highly skittish and along with urticating hairs, they have sharp spines on their rear legs that they will readily use to defend itself. They are beautiful though. Congrats on the Smithi btw. They are one of those pets for life if you get a female living 20+ years. Yours looks at least 5 years old. I have 6 at a little less then half that size at 2 1/2 years old. Slow growers but are a hobby classic.

Last edited:

Beltane

Arachnopeon
Aww - congrats! That will be my next spider to get at some point. :)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Great purchase, ArachnoFreak, the smithi's are THE classic T of the hobby. I have two, and can't wait for them to grow and see their vibrant colours really pop. :)

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for her? (it looks like a her)
I payed $50. it also came with a free medium size critter keeper and some coco fiber substrate.:) far drive to get her though! and I hope its a female! (fingers crossed)

---------- Post added 10-24-2014 at 06:43 AM ----------

If you are talking about Megaphobema robustum then yes they can be pricey. It depends on the size but I wouldn't pay that much unless its a sexed female. I would consider these intermediate because of their temp requirements and they aren't great display spiders because they are obligate burrowers. They are highly skittish and along with urticating hairs, they have sharp spines on their rear legs that they will readily use to defend itself. They are beautiful though. Congrats on the Smithi btw. They are one of those pets for life if you get a female living 20+ years. Yours looks at least 5 years old. I have 6 at a little less then half that size at 2 1/2 years old. Slow growers but are a hobby classic.
yeah there Megaphobema robustum was unsexed and actually wasn't all too skittish. I was really interested in it because of the colors and wanted to hold it, the guy said I could if I really wanted to, so I did and the way it acted kinda reminded me of my genic's temperament. although it was kinda young and that will probably change as it ages.

---------- Post added 10-24-2014 at 06:46 AM ----------

Aww - congrats! That will be my next spider to get at some point. :)
you really should! they are amazing Ts and are deffinitly worth having in your collection!