T molting in transit?

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Hey there,I just received an A. seemanni, and as I took her out of the box I realized she is on her back. Obviously, I'd say she is molting. Should I leave her in the deli cup that she was shipped in? Is there any chance she could have died? Basically, I have no idea how to handle this
P_20141023_095451.jpg

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Her legs were pushing up against the top so I took it off and placed her in a plastic enclosure (she's still in the deli cup), when I popped the lid off she kinda flailed her legs out a bit
I put her in the bathroom with the showering running hot water. Not sure what else to do.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Looks like it might be molting?
Leave it in the cup until it comes out on its own.
Inform the vendor right away, just in case it dies and you need replacement.

Good luck

---------- Post added 10-23-2014 at 08:17 AM ----------

Her legs were pushing up against the top so I took it off and placed her in a plastic enclosure (she's still in the deli cup), when I popped the lid off she kinda flailed her legs out a bit
I put her in the bathroom with the showering running hot water. Not sure what else to do.
Why place her in the bathroom with running hot water?
Just place the deli cup, tarantula and all in the enclosure that you prepared for her(in a quiet area) and be patient.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Looks like it might be molting?
Leave it in the cup until it comes out on its own.
Inform the vendor right away, just in case it dies and you need replacement.

Good luck

---------- Post added 10-23-2014 at 08:17 AM ----------

Why place her in the bathroom with running hot water?
Just place the deli cup, tarantula and all in the enclosure that you prepared for her(in a quiet area) and be patient.
I don't know, I saw people suggesting it on another similar thread for humidity.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Peace and quite is what they need during a molt. It is a very vulnerable time for them. It's hard not to do, but going all mother hen on your T during a molt can cause more bad than good for her.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Peace and quite is what they need during a molt. It is a very vulnerable time for them. It's hard not to do, but going all mother hen on your T during a molt can cause more bad than good for her.
Okay, thanks. I'll set her somewhere else more peaceful

---------- Post added 10-23-2014 at 11:11 AM ----------

I went to check on her and she was upright, took the cup she was shipped in out and there was no sign of an exoskeleton. Is that normal?
Now I have an angry T who does not want to be transferred to the enclosure I set up for her.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
If it was molting, all the disturbances may have caused it to stop. Just leave it alone for the next few days.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Okay, thanks. I'll set her somewhere else more peaceful

---------- Post added 10-23-2014 at 11:11 AM ----------

I went to check on her and she was upright, took the cup she was shipped in out and there was no sign of an exoskeleton. Is that normal?
Now I have an angry T who does not want to be transferred to the enclosure I set up for her.
I've found Ts in all sorts of strange positions once they are unpacked. Some spring to life and can bolt on you while others play dead or at least look dead until you breathe on it or something. Its also normal for Ts to molt in transit. Slings do this a lot. Once a T starts the molting process it can't stop so if it indeed molted there would be an exo somewhere. Shipping is a bumpy ride for a T so it could have been just out of it. Just let it acclimate itself to its new home and make sure it has some water to drink. If its a sling, then its going to burrow. The entire genus burrows as slings and A. seemani being from Costa Rica... I keep these more on the humid side. Good luck.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Sometimes they survive molting in transit, sometimes they don't. Depends on the container, padding, temps, handling, etc. Smaller ones usually do better, as they're done much faster. A large spider molting during a bumpy part of it's trip isn't likely to fare well.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I've had a few T's come to me with molts in the plugs, Never been a problem just makes me happy :)

cold blood

Staff member
I don't know, I saw people suggesting it on another similar thread for humidity.
+1 for everything skippydude wrote.

People suggesting a warm shower are, how do I put this.....unreliable or uninformed at best.:)

Last edited:

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
+1 for everything skippydude wrote.

People suggesting a warm shower are, how do I put this.....unreliable or uninformed at best.:)
Agree, the spider probably has enough humidity if it was packed correctly. A hot shower even for a dehydrated spider would overheat them imo.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Any movement ?? did it die in molt or what? did you tell the seller.

My slings always survived molt in transit a big T however might not survive.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Any movement ?? did it die in molt or what? did you tell the seller.

My slings always survived molt in transit a big T however might not survive.
Like I said, she just flipped over and went about her buisiness, no exoskeleton in sight. I gave her a cricket and she just finished gobbling it down.
I assume she's fine?

Anyway, good to know about that shower thing!!

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Like I said, she just flipped over and went about her buisiness, no exoskeleton in sight. I gave her a cricket and she just finished gobbling it down.
I assume she's fine?
so, you ask for advice, have multiple people tell you to leave it be for a few days, have concerns about it molting...and you decide to throw in a cricket? What was the point of asking for advice if you were going to ignore it?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Good thing she is fine !!! I still do not own any of this Species despite the fact I wanted one for over 9 years.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
so, you ask for advice, have multiple people tell you to leave it be for a few days, have concerns about it molting...and you decide to throw in a cricket? What was the point of asking for advice if you were going to ignore it?
Sorry, I wasn't actively trying to ignore any advice. I really appreciate everyone's help, sorry of it seemed like I was