Advice please!!

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
So, my tiny little avic went into moult last night (9pm here now), and i checked this morning and he was still half in his moult. Thought it was taking a bit long, but left him to it for another 6 hours or so..turns out he did have his legs stuck like i thought.

I put a little bit of water on the moult to try and soften it up. I managed to very slowly release the legs, the only thing is, they look very deformed and he already dropped one prior me helping out.

I've taken him out of the set up he was in, and put him in a very small container as you can see in the picture. Now what do i do? I assume he will try and drop those other legs? And if he survives, that will mean he has no legs on one side :eek:. IF he does make it, im going to put him in a very basic terrestrial style enclosure - is that ok? Just incase he were to lose his footing and fall. (I'm using he, just because it's easier to write)

I have seen a picture of someone with a one leg sling that was getting along ok lol. I just hope he will be ok, as it's my favourite one.

awiec

Arachnoprince
They will usually decide which legs they want to drop. I had a sling keep one deformed leg as the coxa still worked so it swung it around like a peg leg. I'd suggest just putting it back into its old container when it perks up and see what happens. If it does loose all legs on one side then a well ventilated terrestrial set up might work but if it has a good web tunnel net work then I would not worry about it falling in its old cage. For the time being I'd just feed it prekilled or maimed prey items a lot and it should do a regenerative molt sooner than a normal one. Seeing as it lost its legs during the molt, the legs will look pretty normal once it grows them back since it will have a decent amount of time for the "leg buds" to start growing. If you can get it thorough to the next molt it should be good as new.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Hey, thanks :)

Yeah, he didnt actually make much webbing in his enclosure for some reason. Barely anything, but yeah i will see how he gets on if he survives, and then maybe put him in something not so tall but still arboreal.

Are T's like snakes? Where some individual snakes are just bad at shedding.

I did by chance spray the night before he flipped over, so i don't think it was something i did wrong - humidity wise anyway.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hey, thanks :)

Yeah, he didnt actually make much webbing in his enclosure for some reason. Barely anything, but yeah i will see how he gets on if he survives, and then maybe put him in something not so tall but still arboreal.

Are T's like snakes? Where some individual snakes are just bad at shedding.

I did by chance spray the night before he flipped over, so i don't think it was something i did wrong - humidity wise anyway.
Maybe, I've only had one sling get stuck in a molt and that was cause its tunnel was too small. After I operated I left it alone in an ICU like container for a day and then gave it an artificial burrow in the old cage; little bugger recovered fine and even tried to bite me. But at this stage there is a higher mortality rate so usually the weak don't survive. I had a sand boa who was not a good shedder either, poor little guy got sick from some fumes causing a bad shed that I didn't catch until it was too late.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
spraying the night before won't do much humidity wise, when I notice the first sign of premolt I boost the humidity a bit. A water bowl (bottle cap) is suppose to work wonders with avics when it comes to general humidity and molting.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Maybe, I've only had one sling get stuck in a molt and that was cause its tunnel was too small. After I operated I left it alone in an ICU like container for a day and then gave it an artificial burrow in the old cage; little bugger recovered fine and even tried to bite me. But at this stage there is a higher mortality rate so usually the weak don't survive. I had a sand boa who was not a good shedder either, poor little guy got sick from some fumes causing a bad shed that I didn't catch until it was too late.
I guess only time will tell!

spraying the night before won't do much humidity wise, when I notice the first sign of premolt I boost the humidity a bit. A water bowl (bottle cap) is suppose to work wonders with avics when it comes to general humidity and molting.
Thing is, it hadn't eaten for me since i bought it like 4 weeks ago. So i knew it was going to moult at some point so made sure the water cap was always full, and it never really showed a sign of premoult. It was obvious with all my other slings that have shed so far, but this little avic looked the same the whole time.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe pictures of your setup would help, this tends to happen a lot with versicolors and I would wager it has something to do with the setup.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
He died anyway, but that's for the advice etc.

Maybe pictures of your setup would help, this tends to happen a lot with versicolors and I would wager it has something to do with the setup.
I posted a pic of my set up on here, when I first got it and everyone said it was perfect :).

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, yeah, I just found the picture. It looks good, that sucks that yours died but it happens. The only thing you can do it go out and buy 4 more.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
He died anyway, but that's for the advice etc.

I posted a pic of my set up on here, when I first got it and everyone said it was perfect :).
sorry for your loss!:( ive read a lot about versicolors dieing from issues they had during their molt and I think that's the main reason why I wont get a versicolor, even though I really want too!

awiec

Arachnoprince
sorry for your loss!:( ive read a lot about versicolors dieing from issues they had during their molt and I think that's the main reason why I wont get a versicolor, even though I really want too!
You do get weak ones and then there is mine, Bob Marley the super versi, it tolerated many of my early mistakes and is alive and well. I had an A.velutina die on me the other day, I had the ideal set up but I could not get the thing to eat for like 2 months and it eventually died. I had an A.anax do that too but that one ate and molted normally until its death. All you can do is try again, my confidence is not broken because most of my tarantulas I've had since they were little slings and I've raised many true spiders, sometimes the weak just die.