Is my baby in premolt??

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
ravana.jpg

She hasn't eaten in about a week, she's been very slow and I noticed the darkening of her abdomen yesterday when I went to check on her. Is she in premolt? If so, how long do you estimate?

Also, what can I do to ensure a successful molt? I have never had a T molt in my care so I'm extremely excited but very scared. I don't want to lose my babygirl. I know to keep the humidity up but what else?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like very heavy premolt, I've never kept this species but I'd guess she'll molt within the week. Watching your T molt for the first time is definitely nervewracking. Just leave her alone and make sure her water bowl is full. She'll take care of the rest.

Also you don't have to feed her quite that much. When she gets bigger being that fat could be a falling risk.

Good luck!

cold blood

Staff member
View attachment 131163

She hasn't eaten in about a week, she's been very slow and I noticed the darkening of her abdomen yesterday when I went to check on her. Is she in premolt? If so, how long do you estimate?

Also, what can I do to ensure a successful molt? I have never had a T molt in my care so I'm extremely excited but very scared. I don't want to lose my babygirl. I know to keep the humidity up but what else?
Sure looks like it! You will know its getting close when the black skin on the abdomen gets shiny....I'd bet it will happen very soon.

There's nothing you can do, its all on the t...don't worry it know what its doing...lol. The humidity they need to molt comes from within, often you will see t's take a good drink prior to molting.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes she's in premolt. Stop handling her while she's in premolt, if you knew it or not. It's stressful enough handling them when they're not in premolt..

cold blood

Staff member
Premolt is actually pretty easy to tell on OW. The abdomen will get overly plump for no reason, and the underneath of the abdomen will darken instead of the top.
I've noticed this as well, especially the darkening of the underside of the abdomen. Same for my Psalmos actually.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
holy jeez... I think I may pop that tarantula just by looking at it! I think you need to cut back on the feeding a bit, that only poses a risk of bursting at that size.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Indeed.. Thats the first thing i noticed! Soooo fat :) dont feed it like a cat or dog. Onve a week is really enough (for a sling). Just leave her alone, dont disturb her and check her often if you want to see it molt.

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Ah, thank you so much! It definitely is nervewracking but also exciting.
I feed her once or twice a week. I literally just got her maybe two weeks ago with her abdomen this size. Thank you for the heads up!

cold blood

Staff member
Ah, thank you so much! It definitely is nervewracking but also exciting.
I feed her once or twice a week. I literally just got her maybe two weeks ago with her abdomen this size. Thank you for the heads up!
There is a point when the abdomen gets really big that its best to really cut back or stop feeding until it molts. As long as meals aren't too big, your feeding schedule is ok until it fattens up following the upcoming molt, where it will lose a lot of that size, but at that size, who knows how small it will be.

Don't let the molting process be nervewracking, there's little you can do, plus the t knows what its doing, its done it successfully many, many times before, its got it down pat by now. :wink:

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Thank you all so very much for replying. I know she knows what she's doing but I would hate for the first molt I see to be a failure. I've realized that over preparing can also be stressful for the T. Anyways, I'm just going to stop bothering her now, check on her often and hope for the best!
(I had no idea she was in premolt when I took this picture. I am another newbie who needs to do a lot of research. I apologize.)

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Thank you all so very much for replying. I know she knows what she's doing but I would hate for the first molt I see to be a failure. I've realized that over preparing can also be stressful for the T. Anyways, I'm just going to stop bothering her now, check on her often and hope for the best!
(I had no idea she was in premolt when I took this picture. I am another newbie who needs to do a lot of research. I apologize.)
Update with picture when she molted, i love to see fresh molted T's!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yes she's in premolt. Stop handling her while she's in premolt, if you knew it or not. It's stressful enough handling them when they're not in premolt..
+1. Yes! She looks like she's going to pop. It's very easy to cause serious damage to her internally and externally at this stage, the OP should even thing of picking up a spider in this condition.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
She looks stunning!!! Dont feed her to much this time because now she has a good size :) My smithi is also in premolt, cant wait!!

cold blood

Staff member
She looks stunning!!! Dont feed her to much this time because now she has a good size :) My smithi is also in premolt, cant wait!!
+1 Looks great now!! I'd try not to let it get that fat in the future either. Happy molting day!!